Shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

techman

Reaction score
I am remodeling my shower on our second floor in our 34 year old home. The present shower is tile with a fiberglass base that is centered. I would like to replace it with a 3 piece fiberglass unit(including receptor). My question or concerns are with the removal of the base from the drain. When I remove the strainer from the drain, I notice that there is lead sealing the outside lip of the drain. Did they also use the lead to seal the brass ring that sits on top of the shower base unit? It doesn't appear that the ring will unscrew. How do I remove the ring that seals the base and then what type new drain should I use to adapt to the current plumbing?

Last edited:
V

vaplumber

Can you tell what material the drain piping is made from?

techman

Reaction score
Re: Shower

The drain appears to be cast iron, or perhaps iron pipe. I know that my father in his plumbing days used lead with cast iron pipe. I don't want to start pounding on things so I don't make matters worse. Techman

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks