Repair kit for Brasscraft multi-turn right-angle valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I would like to repair a Brasscraft 1/2" FIP x 3.8" compression multi-turn right-angle valve. The bib washer has dried and cracked and fallen apart. Can I get an overhaul kit for this valve? If I could get two or three kits for the price of a whole valve, I would rather do that than get a new valve.

Reaction score
Yes available parts
Do I just go by the physical dimensions of the washers?

Looks like the washer that stops flow (bib washer?) is 3/16" ID and about 1/2" OD and around 7/64" thick. Should this be flat or conical? The old one is reduced to little chunks.

The washer around the shaft of the stem is about 11/32" ID and 3/4" OD and seems to have a groove on the exposed surface. The shaft is 3/8".

Can I find replacements at Home Depot or similar big-box store? I'm not seeing what I need online, and I don't know exactly what to search for.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Brasscraft BCSR01 OEM Kit

brasscraft-bcsr01-oem-kit.jpg

I also see this one.

brasscraft-repair-kit.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you. Of course ... it's right there under Home/Plumbing/Plumbing Accessories/Repair Clamps.

I would like to reuse my brass valve stem. Would it work to transfer the washer from the plastic replacement stem to the existing brass stem? Or could I buy the washers only? Sometimes the valve might be exposed to very hot water--nearly boiling--as it's a drain valve of a boiler.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I do find that hot water destroys the rubber washers. Often when I'm replacing a kitchen faucet I will have to replace the hot side shutoff, or bits of rubber wind up the new faucet orifices' and prevents water going through. That's why on the hot side especially, I like the 1/4 turn stops.

shutoff-rubber-bits.jpg

Reaction score
I do find that hot water destroys the rubber washers. Often when I'm replacing a kitchen faucet I will have to replace the hot side shutoff, or bits of rubber wind up the new faucet orifices' and prevents water going through. That's why on the hot side especially, I like the 1/4 turn stops.

Yes, I found chunks just like that in the drained water.

Reaction score
Can I buy a separate bibb washer or remove one from a new plastic stem and install the new washer on the existing brass valve stem?