Can a multi-turn stop valve be converted to (not replaced by) quarter turn?

Users who are viewing this thread

ItzRav

Reaction score
Our 1930-era house has galvanized supply pipes. Existing sink and toilet stop valves are 3/8 FIP X 3/8 OD Comp angle multi-turn. In the past I’ve rebuilt some of these by removing the old stem and replacing with the innards of a new Brasscraft multi-turn valve, leaving the existing body of the valve screwed on to the supply pipe. I now want to convert some of these to quarter turn valves. But again I don’t want to unscrew the body of the valve from the supply pipe, as I don’t want to risk a disaster if the pipe is corroded or the threads are bad or break the joint behind the wall. Is it possible to replace the innards of the multi-turn valve with the innards of a Brasscraft KT (higher quality version of their valves) quarter turn valve? I suspect that the design of the valve may be too different to do that but thought I’d ask the experts here. Thanks.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
1/4 turn valve uses a ball as the seal and larger ones are called ball valves. The ball is pressed into a machined area to provide a seal all around the ball. The two type are completely different.