Undersink shutoff valves locked up solid...need advice

Users who are viewing this thread

donfm

Reaction score
I am new here so forgive me if I somehow post incorrectly.

I bought a newly built home here in Arizona 6 years ago. The contractor put in cheap spec plastic stemmed stop valves under all the sinks. The other day I tried to shut off the water to replace a leaky faucet cartridge and the shutoff valve is frozen solid. In fact I then checked all the other under-sink shutoff valves and I have 5 of them frozen solid. Needless to say the warranty is over and the builder won't do anything so I am responsible for any repair costs.

After reading a couple older threads on this forum it seems that a good choice for replacement right angle valves are 1/4 turn ball valves. The two most mentioned brands here are the Dahl 611-33-31 all metal valve or the BrassCraft KTCR19 all metal valve. I am sure there are other quality brands but these two are quality and affordable. Both are 5/8" OD Compression and 3/8" OD supply

Originally I thought I could just use the old compression nut with the new valve so I didn't have to pull off the old compression ferrule from the 1/2" copper pipe. I ended up buying a ferrule puller at HD for just over $10 bucks so I can do it right with a new ferrule and nut.

My only fear is if these ferrules will come off easily or am I going to get into a do it yourself nightmare? Has anyone used the Husky ferrule puller from HD and had a problem with it? The video makes it look easy.

If anyone could chime in on which right angle ball stop valve would be the more reliable choice in the long run I would appreciate it. Any suggestions in general would be helpful and much appreciated.

As recommended here I checked prices at SupplyHouse.com and they seemed to be the cheapest. Can anyone recommend them?

husky-fitting-removal-tool.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes it's that easy, and sometimes a little harder.
There are several sleeve puller tools out there.
I carry two different pullers with me. One deluxe one that pulls really well, and if that one isn't working, I pull out the less expensive one that works when the really cool one doesn't.

donfm

Reaction score
Sometimes it's that easy, and sometimes a little harder.
There are several sleeve puller tools out there.
I carry two different pullers with me. One deluxe one that pulls really well, and if that one isn't working, I pull out the less expensive one that works when the really cool one doesn't.

Thanks for the reply Terry. I am about to put an order in to SupplyHouse.com for some valves. I was wondering if you have any experience with them and if they are a trustworthy supplier?

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Regarding your question regarding Supply House, they're great; fast shipping, good prices, and a wide inventory of "better" quality items than you can buy at the local big box store. I've purchased a number of the Dahl compression valves from them and all were perfect.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I replaced eleven of these on Thursday.

sleeve-puller-terrylove-02.jpg

sleeve-puller-terrylove-01.jpg

sleeve-puller-terrylove-03.jpg

ferrule-blaster-1.jpg

The Ferrule Blaster is a nice tool. It works most of the time, but when things are on really tight, then I fall back on the Pasco puller.

pasco-sleeve-puller-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Supply house.com Im new with them they are great. many of thier prices I cant get elsewhere My ferrule puller is old over 20 years works good but doesent get into the tighter spots so good

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had never even heard of a ferrule puller until 10yrs ago or so.. I used a technique of slightly compressing the ring in alternating positions around the clock / degrees. eventually the ring expands enough to slip off the copper. The puller is much easier.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had never even heard of a ferrule puller until 10yrs ago or so.. I used a technique of slightly compressing the ring in alternating positions around the clock / degrees. eventually the ring expands enough to slip off the copper. The puller is much easier.
We used to put all chrome stops and owners wanted polished brass on thier pedestal or water closet. So the puller was one of my first tools.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wow they just destroyed that apartment. But a compression stop could be changed live, or at least he could have put his finger in the stub out while they figure out what to do.

Have you ever tried stopping 60 PSI coming out of a copper tube that is almost razor sharp with your finger? Sounds easy.. its not. Been there done that.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've had stops break off on CPVC. It's always nice to know where the main is ahead of time.

Once time I was installing a groundwork on an office building. We had saw cut the floor and I was breaking up concrete. I figured I knew where the soft copper was in the slab, and since I really, really knew where it was, it was going to be safe to swing my pick really hard in my spot I was going for.

Dang! Hit the 1.5" soft copper line dead on and put a hole in the line. Water was spraying up fifteen feet to the ceiling and I hadn't located the shutoff yet.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Yikes, fair enough for a situation on a pro job. I keep a couple sharkbite caps in my plumbing toolbox in case I need to get the water back on quickly, but I guess it might come in handy if I needed to get it off real quick too. However the situation in the video i assume something went wrong he couldn't cap off, and obviously it won't help if the line is encased in cement.

So how long did it take to shut it down, and where did the water ultimately go?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was on a new construction, public high school setting finish my first few days when an electrition apprentice came in where I was working and said my coworker needed me he was nearby in a janitors closet unsrewed nipple for the mop sink valve was trying to hold back the water he says turn it off turn it off. I said where is shut off? he says I dont know. I ran down to where foreman was working way across campus and franticly told him what happened . they ran over to turn it off. I walked back outta breath ... terrible job we had several incidents like that

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
ALWAYS make sure you know where the main is first. lol you know what really sucks. when you're changing a pressure tank and cut the main only to find out it's an artesian well. no shut off for that :banghead. it's not under much pressure obviously, but still makes one hell of a mess.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks