Raising p-trap that sits too low in 2nd floor joist

Users who are viewing this thread

Dpm200

Reaction score
Hello. I removed a large light structure from my 1990s kitchen ceiling in order to install canless led lights and learned the p-trap from the shower in the floor above rests 5" below the joists preventing me from installing drywall flush with the joists. I am wondering what my options are for reconfiguring the p-trap.

The joists are 9.5" in height. The bottom of the p-trap sits 5" below the bottom of the joist. The shower drain pipe connects to the air vent and then main waste pipe. The distance from the center of the p-trap to the connection to the air vent is 17".

I mocked up a potential solution on paper shown here though don't know if that would constitute an s-trap or other code violation. Thank you for any input you could provide.
Link to short video of the area within the joists

Attachments

• IMG-3570.jpg
    IMG-3570.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG-3595.jpg
    IMG-3595.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG-3597.jpg
    IMG-3597.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG-3598.jpg
    IMG-3598.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 84

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can raise the pipe from a point below/downstream of the vertical vent, but you can't add a dip between the trap and the vent, it must be graded horizontally w/ slope.

You're going to need to gain 5" in the vertical vent, which looks like to me, opening the wall above to gain what you need.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just hope you are wrong about the 5 inches you could put a san tee on back and bring waste way up high as close to floor you can get? run 1 1/2" trap arm and and vent ? drastic measures good luck let us see your progress!

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
To illustrate what Tuttle said, you can do what I drew below. And as Jeff said, the IPC (used in Colorado) would allow you to replace the wye + 45 vent take off with a san-tee on its back. I would think that would let you do all the work from below.

Cheers, Wayne

IMG-3598.jpg

Dpm200

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the helpful responses! Your recommendations look great, and I will give them a shot. It was a total surprise to find the p-trap hanging there after removing the large light structure. Your responses give me hope the original vision of the project can still be realized and avoid adding a soffit to cover the p-trap.
Here's what the light looked like before.
Take care and happy new year.

lighting4.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
good luck with it ! there is a chance of having to demo more drywall to get back to the wye , to offset and connecting back to the verticle vent a hole might need made in wall above . but you got a nice home there and going to need a good patch job on the cieling anyway

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks