P-trap leak at drain stub out/ coupling nut

Users who are viewing this thread

JordanA

Reaction score
Thank you in advance

I, with the guidance of a plumber, repaired the drain pipe (ABS) so it would better align with the p trap. This involved cutting out the old piping and gluing a few different connectors. I replaced the p trap as well and had no leaks. This was in Aug 2019

I am now seeing a leak where the stub out connects with the p trap held together by the nut.

Further tightening reduces the drip but has not stopped with hand tightening the nut. This is a 1 1/2 inch p trap.

I am thinking of replacing the trap but are there other options I should consider first? I worry I’ll just have this same problem again.

Also how deep should the p trap go into the drain pipe? I remember cutting some off because of the proximity to the pipe

JordanA

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the trap and drain pipe

1D2B761A-F316-44CF-AFD3-19FECE53E108.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are saying the leak is near the white nut. Try a different washer under the white nut.

Amount the trap arm of the trap goes into the trap adapter is not critical. Is there much stress in that area?

Whatever works.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The white nut has it's own washer incorporated within the nut. Maybe pick up a standard 1.5" nut and slip joint washer and see how that goes. They make them in hard plastic and also rubber.
Sometimes the p-trap on the long end toward the wall will get shortened. Too long can be a problem. It looks like yours would have been, it's like impossible to push the long end past a 45 bend.

p-trap_with_adapter.jpg

Last edited:

JordanA

Reaction score
Thank you Reach4!

I appreciate your response. I don’t believe there is much stress. What should I look for/feel for?

I will grab those washers and give them a shot

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am wondering if the problem is that the p-trap is still curving at the plane of the face of the white slip joint washer. I can't tell for sure from the picture but it looks suspicious to me. I would think a proper slip joint connection requires a straight portion of the pipe.

In that case a solution would be to use a new p-trap with the j-bend rotated ~150 degrees from currently, away from the wall, and the outlet elbow running back past the tail piece to the trap adapter.

One simpler thing to try now would be to disassemble all three slip joints (with a basin to catch the water in the trap), and then reassemble, checking that the geometry isn't stressed anywhere. Also that the straight part of the p-trap outlet elbow is at the trap adapter, pull out some of the trap arm if possible and necessary. Then tighten the middle of trap slip joint first (since it's under water and is therefore least forgiving of any misalignment), then the trap adapter slip joint (since it's the current problem and is horizontal), and the trap entry slip joint last (since it's vertical and not under water all the time).

Cheers, Wayne

JordanA

Reaction score
Thank you, Wayne!

You make a good point! Also might give more of a chance to slope the pipe downward it it is longer

JordanA

Reaction score
Thank you again!

Both suggestions did the trick! Added a longer trap arm and replaced the nut with a nut/washer combo.

Appears to be too much stress in the area along with improper seal.

I hope this helps others

Attachments

• B5CE8C76-505D-4232-82B4-530CFAD3A6A4.jpeg
    B5CE8C76-505D-4232-82B4-530CFAD3A6A4.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 209
  • BBA559B5-D917-4E54-A889-1998604AD084.jpeg
    BBA559B5-D917-4E54-A889-1998604AD084.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 203
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks