Overflow Water Line

Users who are viewing this thread

raviji22

Reaction score
Hello all,
I had to replace the toilet Fill-Valve and noticed that the water in my toilet when it rises too high and when it flows through the overflow line, it doesn't flow into the toilet bowl. I wonder where it is going? Maybe straight to the drain? After any flushes that I did, even with the old fill-valve, I never had residual water flowing into the toilet bowl. I am just curious and confused as I think I might have been wasting water all along with old fill-valve as it was broken for a week and it kept making water noise but nothing flowed in the toilet bowl and I thought everthing was okay, but when I opened the toilet, I saw alot of water was overflowing into the overflow line but nothing came down to the toilet bowl.

BECplumbing

Plumbing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello all,
I had to replace the toilet Fill-Valve and noticed that the water in my toilet when it rises too high and when it flows through the overflow line, it doesn't flow into the toilet bowl. I wonder where it is going? Maybe straight to the drain? After any flushes that I did, even with the old fill-valve, I never had residual water flowing into the toilet bowl. I am just curious and confused as I think I might have been wasting water all along with old fill-valve as it was broken for a week and it kept making water noise but nothing flowed in the toilet bowl and I thought everthing was okay, but when I opened the toilet, I saw alot of water was overflowing into the overflow line but nothing came down to the toilet bowl.
The reason it is going over the overflow tube is because the fill valve is set to high. You will need to lower the fill valve by adjusting the float screw to make it shut off earlier. It should be set to where it shuts off a half inch under the top of the overflow tube.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that whatever goes down the overflow tube goes into the bowl. We could devise some test if you doubt that.

But I agree that you want to adjust the fill valve.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Dripping some food coloring down the overflow tube will quickly verify that the water that goes down the overflow is folowing the same path as water that goes down the flush/flapper valve.

Unless you have the weirdest toilet in the world.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks