new walk in shower project

Users who are viewing this thread

barlow96

Reaction score
I am at a lost on what the best option would be for my new walk in shower project. Dimensions are 99'' x 37''. Wife does not want tile anymore so I am looking at getting the below pan (36'' x 79'') and then taking up the rest of the space with a built in bench. Since my shower has a 31'' wide opening (doorway) into the shower (walls encompass the rest of the shower), i am confused as to how i would make this pan work with a glass shower door since the pan will sit inside of the opening. I haven't yet decided on if I will install the pan flush to the outside finished floor or install on top of the subfloor in the shower.

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

1.jpg

2.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Take the drywall off of one side and probably some studs need to be taken down temporarily. Without doing this is almost impossible to set a pan that large. It can be done but you'd need some kind of pulley system, lol.

Maybe I'm not clear on your question, what does the door have to do with anything?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks to me like the pan is not made at all for this application the door is on the side of the pan not where you are supposed to walk in at all

barlow96

Reaction score
sorry about the confusion...yeah the pan is only 120 lbs and at 79'' in length i will be able to stand it up on end and slide it into the shower stall. I will be constructing a curb and the glass door will sit on the curb. I will be going with some type of acrylic/plastic/pvc wall panels. To take up the rest of the space in length (approx 20''), I will be constructing a bench.

Concerning the backer board, since i will not be going with tile, what would be your suggestion?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
People like cement board, I'm a a hardibacker person.

However most wall panels for showers nowadays claim they don't need a special backer and plain drywall is OK. At a minium I would use the green water resistant drywall.

barlow96

Reaction score
So now I am at a lost due to the shower tray I was going to order is not available from the company. (they do not have anything in stock larger then 72'' in length). With my shower stall being 99'' in length does anyone know of a shower tray/pan company that offers these in lengths of 80'' or more? It seems like over in europe these are pretty common but here they are hard to find. i did price out a custom acrylic shower pan, but that would run me over $3,000. tile is not an option, so i am scouring the internet trying to find a pan that would work

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
So now I am at a lost due to the shower tray I was going to order is not available from the company. (they do not have anything in stock larger then 72'' in length). With my shower stall being 99'' in length does anyone know of a shower tray/pan company that offers these in lengths of 80'' or more? It seems like over in europe these are pretty common but here they are hard to find. i did price out a custom acrylic shower pan, but that would run me over $3,000. tile is not an option, so i am scouring the internet trying to find a pan that would work
I dont think it would work anyway you want walk in with no curb Is how I understand ? custom pan sounds good othe than price

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks