Moving a shower head higher...

Users who are viewing this thread

Boink

Reaction score
I have a guest bathroom with a stupidly installed shower outlet (at about 6'). See photo.
The problem is that with any head (including the newly installed one), it's just too low.
Yes, I could probably open up the wall behind and move the stem a foot higher (and plug the old hole in the fiberglass), but I'm trying avoid all that. Probably a silly thing to avoid.

So, my question is: might there be an elegant (or reasonable) way to run a finish pipe up the wall a bit so-as to move the shower head?

2020-09-30 14.45.08.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
delta-ua902-pk-01.jpg

I have used something like this before.
When I broke into plumbing in the 70's, my boss was 5'-6" and wanted shower head roughs at 70" from the floor.
I wound up having a son that was 6'-5" and the lower shower rough wasn't working for either of us.
This was my fix.

delta-ua902-pk-02.jpg

If you want to pick up a little more height, replace the curved shower arm with a chromed pipe nipple coming out of the wall.

Boink

Reaction score
delta-ua902-pk-01.jpg

I have used something like this before.
When I broke into plumbing in the 70's, my boss was 5'-6" and wanted shower head roughs at 70" from the floor.
I wound up having a son that was 6'-5" and the lower shower rough wasn't working for either of us.
This was my fix.

delta-ua902-pk-02.jpg

If you want to pick up a little more height, replace the curved shower arm with a chromed pipe nipple coming out of the wall.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
FANTASTIC! Perfect. And thanks for the quick reply.
- Mark

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hopefully next year for the reunion. I was looking forward to it. There are so many that I haven't seen since March. I was skiing at Whistler though and for the first time I didn't have to say I was from Seattle for them to know where I was from. We would introduces ourselves in the Gondola, asking where everyone was from, and then told them we were from Kirkland.
That got a few interesting remarks.

Well...........I'm a few blocks North of Kirkland, but pretty close.
My next door neighbor died of COVID in March.

SunPeaks in BC

sunpeaks-terrylove-2020-01.jpg

sunpeaks-terrylove-2020-02.jpg

sunpeaks-terrylove-2020-03.jpg

Last edited:

Boink

Reaction score
Nice (with great photos). I haven't been to Whistler in YEARS, but it's great that you are still skiing. My back has forced me to stop all that.
Yeah, I was looking forward to the reunion this year... and, hey, we shouldn't have to age one more year because of this delay! LOL
Anyway, wow, I've not known anyone that had COVID-19 (yet), and it must have been spooky to have some so physically close you.
Like so many, we've been doing take-out and eaten (outside) at some of our favorite places. We've even re-booked a few trips for next year (notably our cancelled trip to South America)... obviously, on the presumption of a vaccine sooner than later.

Boink

Reaction score
I decided to keep it simple (again, a guest shower) and do this. Thanks again! Works well. Fortunately, the cheap Moen unit is light weight.

2020-10-01 12.50.19 new guest shower head.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks