Medium sweep elbow on toilet vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the elbow is at least 6" above the toilet flood rim on a dry vent serving only the toilet, there's no restriction.

If it's below that level, then under the UPC (California et al) the vent has to be plumbed like a drain. The vent also has to remain vertical (no more than 45 degrees away from plumb). So the only way I see to use any 90 degree bend would be to change the vent from rising at 45 degrees off plumb to 45 degrees off plumb the other way (e.g. change from "rising up and to the left" to "rising up and to the right"). For which I would think a quarter bend would be OK, as the outlet of the elbow is still vertical.

Cheers, Wayne

Doug Henningsen

Reaction score
Thanks Wayne (for the bad news...ok, better now than later!). Below is what I've got now (dry fitted).

This is a wall-mounted unit so I have limited space behind the unit due to the tank, even framed with 2x6. However, I have two options I suppose. 1) use 45's as you mention - good idea! Initially, I think this might be the best route....I like 45s over 90s anyhow. 2) frame out the wall behind the unit another inch or so to accommodate the 2" pipe. Other side of the toilet is a closet so not a huge loss.

Any more thoughts (now that I've provided the whole picture)?
Thanks
Doug...and yes, in California/UPC!

20220115_093209.jpg

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you've identified the two possible solutions.

If the 2x6 wall is not load bearing, and if the Toto frame instructions don't have any additional limitations on holes in the double stud, then you could drill the double stud at a 45 degree angle. Or easier would be to drill two stacked holes and cut out the web between them, to form a racetrack shaped hole.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks