Lowering kitchen sink drain height - copper drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

PianoMannick

Reaction score
Hello

I'm renovating my kitchen and wanted to add a garbage disposal. House was built in the late 50s and drain enters wall too high for a disposal to fit. As you can see in the picture, I have copper drain pipe. It seems easy enough to just cut and add a Fernco coupling at the height I need it to be. However, the threaded 45 degree vent piece threads right into the tee for the drain. Does anyone have any suggestions for a way to tie into the threaded vent pipe?

Thanks!
Nick

Attachments

• sink drain.jpg
    sink drain.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 120

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Cut a section of pipe below the tee to add a second tee. Make the original tee a clean out properly capped off. It will be a bit difficult to butt joint the tee to the copper if there is room. You'll probably will need to use a copper tee since PVC and copper have different outside diameters. I do not know if there is a coupling for copper to PVC. Furnco has couplings for copper.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good idea to leave old tee alone, I might concider wack it below the floor if possible and run plastic up eliminating those 90s down at floor level possibly.
plastic to dwv copper bands should be available

PianoMannick

Reaction score
I hadn't thought of using the tee as a clean out. Seems like that will be the least work. Thank you all for the replies!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks