Long Sweep 90 Off Trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

HereInOhio

Reaction score
I am hooking up a bathtub drain (1.5” PVC). My question is I purchased a pee trap that came with the “U” shaped trap and a tight turn street 90. Can I swap out the 90 for a long sweep street 90? I need another 1/2” or so to connect to the drain pipe and this would do it if allowed. I’m under IPC if it matters.

Thanks!

A4A9E8E9-1E75-4FD2-90BD-241081721DE4.jpeg
96E12796-874F-46BB-B5F5-442470B50ADD.jpeg

HereInOhio

Reaction score
How about a medium sweep 90 with a spigot end?

View attachment 71934
I held one up to the tight 90 and it seemed to be the same size which I was surprised of. Maybe I was mistaking but I will check again.

Is a long sweep 90 acceptable though? If so I know either way I would be good and will try to go with the tightest bend allowing the connection. I do realize the long sweep in the picture isn’t a street as I mentioned, it was the only long sweep I had.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would think cutting back the existing line a few inches, adding a coupling and a short pipe segment, and then using the unmodified trap would be a simpler/better solution.

The long turn 90 will increase the seal depth, which I understand is allowed as long as it's still 2" - 4" in height. Would it be?

Cheers, Wayne

HereInOhio

Reaction score
I would think cutting back the existing line a few inches, adding a coupling and a short pipe segment, and then using the unmodified trap would be a simpler/better solution.

The long turn 90 will increase the seal depth, which I understand is allowed as long as it's still 2" - 4" in height. Would it be?

Cheers, Wayne
I will measure it later to see if it exceeds the max height.
It's in the joist above a basement and the duct work is in the way. I can barely get to the nub sticking out of the joist where it is. To cut it back I would have to go the next bay over and become Stretch Armstrong since it's going away at a 45. Not undoable but it would be a lot more convenient making this work.

Thank you.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
A couple comments:

Looking at the pictures and the Charlotte catalog, using a street quarter bend (medium 90) might get you a little more length than the included trap street bend, without as much extra height as a long turn 90.

Another option that may give you enough length without increasing the height as much would be to reverse the included street trap bend, and use a coupling on the outlet (the extra length) with a short pipe segment between the trap elbow and the u-bend (the extra height)

Just some options to consider.

Cheers, Wayne

HereInOhio

Reaction score
A couple comments:

Looking at the pictures and the Charlotte catalog, using a street quarter bend (medium 90) might get you a little more length than the included trap street bend, without as much extra height as a long turn 90.

Another option that may give you enough length without increasing the height as much would be to reverse the included street trap bend, and use a coupling on the outlet (the extra length) with a short pipe segment between the trap elbow and the u-bend (the extra height)

Just some options to consider.

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks Wayne!

Just to follow up if anyone is searching in the future. I did lay out the trap as purchased vs. the trap with a long turn and from what it seemed to me the original trap was already at 4" (from bottom of U bend to bottom of horizontal run) so going any longer would be questionable. Probably would physically work from what I'm gathering but I just preferred to not have it questionable.

After sleeping on it I figured I have enough of a nub sticking out of the joist to put the trap on that there should be enough to put a coupling on so I did as you originally suggested and just put a coupling and extended the original pipe an inch or so. I try to not use couplings unless necessary but I'm just weird and like to do stuff the hard way, this project helped me break that habit.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Glad it worked out.

FWIW, the trap seal depth is measured from the top of the inside of the pipe at the bottom of the u-bend to the bottom of the inside of the pipe at the horizontal trap outlet.

But using a coupling is definitely a better choice than messing with the trap geometry.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks