How to I remove this tower drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Will Davidge

New Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

So I have a clog in my tub drain and am perplexed as to how to remove the stop so I can snake it. I have what I believe is called a tower or standing waste drain. There is a knob in the tub that actuates an arm attached to a cylinder that blocks the drain when it is lowered. The tower and the arm are located in the wall behind the tub that is accessed through a removable panel. The house was built in 1929, and I think this is the original plumbing. My issue is that when I detach the arm from the knob and the arm from the cylindrical stop, I am unable to pull the stop up and out of the tube because of a pipe that is in the way. I am thinking that if I can remove the shaft and the tube the knob attaches to, I may be able to pull the stop up and out between the pipe that's giving me trouble and back of the tub. I don't know how to remove this shaft that the knob attaches to though and am extremely hesitant to try without knowing exactly how because I am sure these parts are impossible to get if I break anything. Please see the attached pictures. I would be really grateful if anyone here had encountered something like this before and could give me some advice.


Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks