Gas behind oven

Users who are viewing this thread

GCC

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had the gas stub out moved behind my oven so it would sit flush against the wall. I like to do a lot of stuff myself, but not gas. I had a licensed plumber come out so it would be done right . I have no reason to question it other than it looks weird to have it pushed up against the floor the way it is. This is ok, right?

gas.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is typically very limited space behind ovens for the gas valve. As long as the hose doesn't have to bend too tightly/kink to install, then its OK.. But better would have been to add an additional 90 elbow either in the wall to lower the stub out location or add a 90 after to valve to allow the valve to be vertical and the hose connection to be horizontal.

GCC

Reaction score
Here is a closer pic. He also said I could leave the wall open but I feel better at least screwing some sheetrock up behind it. Again, he is the pro, I just wanted some assurance from some others that this is ok. Thanks!

gas2.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If the flex connection was at the 4:00 position instead of the 5:00, there would be less stress on the bend. Since the hose only is moved when the stove is moved it'll be OK. When you push the range back in place, remove the lower draw and check that the hose in not getting crimped. The valve has to be low as there is no clearance behind the rang except about the first 6" from the floor.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use corrugated lines but differant then those . I personally wouldnt have stress on it > I might just back it off a few degrees I know everyone gets so scared about loosteninmg a fitting but Im talking a minute amount. I wouldnt make him return but I dont plumb them like that

GCC

Reaction score
Ok. If enough of you who do this for a living feel like it is ok, then I’ll stop worrying. Thanks. I really hate to second guess anyone’s work, I just wasnt expecting to see it that way - seemed like there would be a better way to do it. But I won’t call him back or anything. Thanks!

Eman85

Reaction score
Is that galvanized pipe? I've always used black iron for gas.

Eman85

Reaction score
Is that galvanized pipe? I've always used black iron for gas.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
It's a big debate what is better, black iron or galvanized for gas.

A google search:
So, unless your local codes prohibit it, you can use galvanized pipe for gas. Just be sure to mark your gas lines with a yellow paint to distinguish the galvanized water piping from the galvanized gas pipe. That said, black iron pipe is the most preferred pipe for natural gas.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
My understanding is that historically galvanized was not allowed for natural gas piping because the natural gas supplied could have a high enough sulfur content to allow the formation of ZnS. This could flake off and clog orifices. Nowadays, sulfur content is regulated to be low enough that this will not happen, and so there is no problem using galvanized pipe.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
My understanding is that historically galvanized was not allowed for natural gas piping because the natural gas supplied could have a high enough sulfur content to allow the formation of ZnS. This could flake off and clog orifices. Nowadays, sulfur content is regulated to be low enough that this will not happen, and so there is no problem using galvanized pipe.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
big debate big waste of time. galvinized wont hurt a thing . black iron is totaly illegal in upc out side (wasent befor but code changed ) . I think its kind of wives tale or urban legend I dont really know but Outside its gal or fletcher coat no blackiron alklowed also going through masonry blackiron has always been illegal in my code as far as I remember .

Eman85

Reaction score
My home and shop are black iron including outside. I always was taught galvanized can flake off inside the pipe and cause a clog, same reason you don't pipe compressed air with galvanized.
Don't know what's going on with the double post.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think with the double post you need to wait for the posting to happen like a minute and dont click twice.
The flaking is pretty much BS its totally legal to use gal. and as I said absolutely illegal to use black outside that is not coated with something but plain black iron is totaly illegal my code outdoors. I was taught like you but dont belive it I rarely have plugged orofices even with all the dirt ,oil , thread shavings , or galvinized it just is rarely an issue in my world. I just think its total BS old wives tales of cource good practice helps

Eman85

Reaction score
I see others have had the double posts too.
Must not follow any code here, gas company does installs and uses black iron outside. I just had an outdoor package unit installed by a very good HVAC guy and he used black iron outside. We did paint it as we did all of the other black iron that was installed.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I see others have had the double posts too.
Must not follow any code here, gas company does installs and uses black iron outside. I just had an outdoor package unit installed by a very good HVAC guy and he used black iron outside. We did paint it as we did all of the other black iron that was installed.
we dont have big rust issue here I put a lot of black outside in past and see it here commonly to me its not a big deal I havent checked if IPC code is same as UPC on the subject

Reach4

Reaction score
If GCC were to redo that, I am thinking a right angle fitting would be good. I have read people saying that you should not use a street elbow on gas. I think that I have also read that a right-angle reducing fittings was good.

What fitting would be good for GCC if making a change? For material, I am thinking brass.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks