Freestanding bathtub not flat on bottom

Users who are viewing this thread

av76

Reaction score
We are in the process of installing a DXV Freestanding bathtub. The instructions say to apply a 3/8" bead of Liquid Nails to the bottom of the tub to adhere it to the floor. The tub is not yet glued down. It feels a little rocky. The floor is flat but if I push down on one side, the other side goes up, maybe a quarter inch. I don't really like the idea of relying on the liquid nails to fill the small amount of space, even if it only works out to be an 1/8" on each side. Tubs I've done in the past have always been in a mortar bed, but they were not freestanding. I feel like the small amount of space that needs to be filled is too small for mortar. Looking for opinions on whether thinset would work better, if I can just go with the liquid nails and be fine, or if there is another better option. Thanks.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I personally would use thinset with a notched trowel. Although rows of liquid nails would likley be a stronger grip to the floor. I guess following the instructions keeps you within warranty requirements. You may want to just follow the instructions.

If it were mine and I didn't care about the warranty I would do thinset. It's up to you.

av76

Reaction score
The tub was purchased at an auction so I am betting there isn't a warranty. I'll double check that and likely go the thinset route, maybe adding a border of liquid nails to help prevent things from sliding. Thanks for the advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks