Do I need to redo this crimp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Had a pro over to install a new water heater and just noticed this crimp (6 months later).....Looks not that great to me, but it's been like that for 6 months now. Does it look ok to leave it as is since it's been solid for half a year now?

Screenshot_20220615-170533_Gallery.jpg

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a pro.

I would fix it. I would be concerned that could blow off the pipe.

How far is the ring off of the edge of the fitting (i.e. where the pipe buts up against it.)? It's supposed to be 1/8 to 1/4 inch.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is too far to risk IMO.
I called the company and asked if a supervisor could look at the picture. They sent out a crew right away to replace the fitting.

Now I'm curious: They are using a basic supply valve in place as a boiler valve. I wonder if there's anything wrong with that since this is tapped right after the meter on my main line (lots of pressure?). Are these things reliable enough to serve as a boiler valve?

Reach4

Reaction score
Boiler valve? To me a "boiler valve" has a garden hose thread on it. What does boiler valve mean to you?

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not pro.

What is the purpose of the valve?

I you are concerned about the PSI, you could look up the PSI rating for the valve.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any valve that has a certification on it for potable water should work at up to 80-psi, and are tested for higher values than that to ensure they work at the code maximum.

To get a good connection with PEX, you really want to ensure you cut the tubing end square. But, if the compression crimp ring was installed between the ridges in the fitting and passed the go-nogo test, it should have been fine.

Reaction score
I am not pro.

What is the purpose of the valve?

I you are concerned about the PSI, you could look up the PSI rating for the valve.
They installed it to make it easier for collecting an untreated water sample, before the softener. He kept referring to it as a boiler valve, which like @Reach4 said I thought was threaded with a much more "heavy duty" appearance.

I don't really care what's there, as long as it doesn't blowout and flood my basement, lol

This: ?

Screenshot_20220617-062037_Brave.jpg

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
You may want to remove the nut and compression sleeve on the outlet of the valve and replace that with a 3/8" compression cap, just in case some set of "kiddie fingers" sees the valve and plays with it ...

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
They installed it to make it easier for collecting an untreated water sample, before the softener. He kept referring to it as a boiler valve, which like @Reach4 said I thought was threaded with a much more "heavy duty" appearance.

I don't really care what's there, as long as it doesn't blowout and flood my basement, lol

This: ?

View attachment 84343
Reach is right. What they installed is not a boiler drain ... it's a fixture stop. That being said, I can't see it causing a problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks