Correct interpretation of DFUs - IPC Table 710.1(2) vs UPC 703.2

Users who are viewing this thread

jamesc

Reaction score
Looking at IPC 710.1(2) for a 1.5 inch pipe, if I'm reading it correctly, it's telling me I can carry 3 DFUs horizontally but only 2 DFUs if it's vertical (per interval). The DFU capacity on a single branch interval is lower when used as a stack than for a horizontal run.

Under UPC, table 703.2 tells me I can carry only 1 DFU horizontally but then 2 DFUs vertically. i.e. higher drainage capacity in vertical orientation vs lower capacity per the IPC table.

Makes me think I'm reading it wrong. Anyone able to clarify? Thanks.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looking at IPC 710.1(2) for a 1.5 inch pipe, if I'm reading it correctly, it's telling me I can carry 3 DFUs horizontally but only 2 DFUs if it's vertical (per interval). The DFU capacity on a single branch interval is lower when used as a stack than for a horizontal run.
So, the definition of horizontal branch allows some vertical portions. And a stack is a vertical drain that extends through at least one full story. A 1-1/2" stack serving multiple horizontal branches would be pretty rare; if there's only one horizontal branch, then while that could include a stack, I would think the horizontal branch limit of 3 DFUs would apply.

In other words, I see the righthand 3 columns in table 710.1(2) in the IPC as covering the case of a multistory stack with multiple horizontal branches connecting. Then the stack can carry more than 3 DFUs, but each branch interval (story) can only bring in 2 DFUs.

Cheers, Wayne

jamesc

Reaction score
ok, that's helpful, thanks Wayne.
I see now in the definitions the "extends through not fewer than one story" definition for a stack.

In my situation I have a 1-1/2 inch vertical drain line (and vent) for softener regen waste water that is located in a garage -- so it does not extend through more than one story.
The fixture / softener drain pipe is 0.5 inch PEX, air-gapped into the 1-1/2 inch drain.
I wanted to tap into that drain line with a san-tee to drain a utility sink which would be 2 DFU.

I was trying to calculate the DFU for the softener but can see a case for counting it as:
a) 1/2 DFU per 709.4.1 as non-potable clear water waste
b) 1 DFU since it's 1/2 inch fixture drain (using table 709.2)
c) 2 DFU since it's 1-1/2 inch trap leading to the drain pipe (also using table 709.2)

So, it's unclear to me whether the total is 2.5, 3, or 4 DFU.
It's a bit academic as the softener will back flush ~1x per week at 2am but would be nice to have an argument as to why 1-1/2 inch DWV piping is appropriate.
(This is under IPC)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks