Which water valve for replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread

hdtvluvr

Reaction score
We have CPVC piping and the Flowtite push/pull valves. I really hate these valves and want to replace them. My thinking is to add a pipe to male threaded adapter and then add an angled metal valve. I've seen multiple you tube videos where one video likes one valve better than the other. In my previous home, all of the valves were multi-turn and we had 1 quarter turn valve. Bought the home new and didn't have issues with any in the 20 years we lived there. The multi-turn may have had metal internal components. The valve handles were metal.

I like the idea of quarter turn valves but some say get the one with the metal ball/stem and others say to get the plastic ball/stem stating reasons for and against the other. What valve would you choose-- multi-turn, quarter turn plastic insides or quarter turn metal insides? I have 16 valves to replace. I don't think I want to add the pipe to threaded male adapter for the toilets as it would stick out further than now but maybe add one if there is a 90 deg version with a straight valve. I'm thinking that in the future should a valve need to be replaced, the threaded adapter would provide a spot to hold onto instead of using the CPVC. Or should I just purchase glue on valves and call it a day? BTW, this is our last home. We don't need to downsize further, all on 1 level and we can age in place.

Your recommendation and reasoning please. A link to the valve would be helpful.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its really a matter of differant I like the dahl 1/4 turn angle stops but even the brasscraft multi turns serve decent , are they supposed to last 40 years ? What about the pipe ? a lot of negative opinion out there on CPVC life expectancy.
This is one instance where I might concider a pushfit angle stop like the dahl Cpvc can bust and Id feel safest with the pushfit besides its exposed not buried in a wall.

hdtvluvr

Reaction score
Just read that the all plastic male adapter is not recommended for the hot water line so I guess using screw on angle valves is not an option. So, should I bite the bullet and use
1. a glue on valve
2. get a 1/2" CPVC x Male Brass Adapter and a threaded angle valve
3. Just use a shark bite valve?

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
What are you reading?

I'm still not clear on this plan. Your planning to add male adapters to all of the pipe that is stubbed out of your walls, then after you add male adapters you want to know which stops to use? The answer is it doesn't matter all that much. Plastic components don't hold up well and break much easier. Metal components can gather minerals over time.

I think adding male adapters is a good idea you can turn your water off and change a valve very easily in the future.

Ball valves (quarter turn) generally last the longest, but no valve that sits for a long time without anyone exercising them will live it's full life. I would get all ball valves and stops and excercise them every 6 months or so.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
What are you reading?

I'm still not clear on this plan. Your planning to add male adapters to all of the pipe that is stubbed out of your walls, then after you add male adapters you want to know which stops to use? The answer is it doesn't matter all that much. Plastic components don't hold up well and break much easier. Metal components can gather minerals over time.

I think adding male adapters is a good idea you can turn your water off and change a valve very easily in the future.

Ball valves (quarter turn) generally last the longest, but no valve that sits for a long time without anyone exercising them will live it's full life. I would get all ball valves and stops and excercise them every 6 months or so.
I think he wants GLUE on angle stops I forgot they made them . Dahl makes those too!

Reach4

Reaction score
This is one instance where I might concider a pushfit angle stop like the dahl Cpvc can bust and Id feel safest with the pushfit besides its exposed not buried in a wall.
611-qg3-31-4.jpg

I ended up putting a SharkBite valve onto PEX for my toilet. I had used Dahl stop valves for my lavatory.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBi...-Turn-Angle-Stop-Valve-23036-0000LF/202270612
stainless-steel-sharkbite-shut-off-valves-23036-0000lf-64_100.jpg

hdtvluvr

Reaction score
What are you reading?
I was editing my post above yours so you probably didn't get to see it in its entirety. And to answer your question about what I was reading, it seems that the plastic threads of the adapter and the metal valve can expand differently in a hot water line. This caused issues with the threads and the adapter can begin to leak.

I think he wants GLUE on angle stops I forgot they made them . Dahl makes those too!
Do those come apart should they ever leak or need replacing for failure to shut off?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was editing my post above yours so you probably didn't get to see it in its entirety. And to answer your question about what I was reading, it seems that the plastic threads of the adapter and the metal valve can expand differently in a hot water line. This caused issues with the threads and the adapter can begin to leak.

Do those come apart should they ever leak or need replacing for failure to shut off?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thats another way , I think he talked about gluing on valves . The male adapter is good just gotta be carefull unscrewing a valve in future. Id be more worried about the Piping System than my anglestops!

hdtvluvr

Reaction score
These were the 3 options I was looking at:
1. a glue on valve
2. get a 1/2" CPVC x Male Brass Adapter and a threaded angle valve
3. Just use a shark bite valve?

Thanks to all of the comments and looking at the total costs and future proofing should one need changing, I'm now looking at the BrassCraft KTPR19X-C. it is a glue on but can be taken apart. No worse than unscrewing a valve from an adapter. This particular valve is a 1/4 turn and has a metal ball & stem inside. The handle is larger than the one on the Dahl. Should one need to be replaced in the future, seems like it could just be unscrewed from the pipe and the new one disassembled and screw the body and internals back on.

The shark bite and knockoffs don't seem to be any better than the flowtite except they are metal and turn instead of push/pull.

Id be more worried about the Piping System than my anglestops!
I am concerned about the piping but not sure anything can be done now. All of the homes here have the CPVC. The home is 1 year old so currently the piping is relatively new. I'd rather make the switch now than later.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
hdtvluvr, Well heck you should be good only a year old CPVC should be ok in that case go with dahl valves Johns idea of the male adapter is very solid if you are ok with the looks . its easy to change in 40 years LOL well maybe in 40 years we wont care .

hdtvluvr

Reaction score
hdtvluvr, Well heck you should be good only a year old CPVC should be ok in that case go with dahl valves Johns idea of the male adapter is very solid if you are ok with the looks . its easy to change in 40 years LOL well maybe in 40 years we wont care .
Using the adapter wouldn't matter except for on the valves behind the toilet where they would be seen. Having brass and a chrome plated valve would look bad to me (and the wife). Knowing it was there, I'd see it every time.

Thanks. Any reason why Dahl over the Brasscraft? Do the Dahl CPVC connecting valves come apart such that most of the valve can be unscrewed from the CPVC connecting? I can't find any specs on how they may be put together. The Brasscraft ones do unscrew from the CPVC connection.

And if I may, my daughter and son-in-law bought a house last year that is about 7 years old. They have the same flowtite valves. Is that too old to consider replacing the valves now? Or should they just wait for an issue and replace as needed then?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like Dahl and Brasscraft equally. Both have been reliable for us. We use a lot of Legend brand too.

Always 1/4 turn metal ball for us, but we don't have hard water issues in our area.

If I can get them, I prefer the CPVC specific valves.. But gluing on male adapters and having the ability and option to change them out to any other style or brand would be my second option.

Eman85

Reaction score
Just my opinion and I'm not a plumber by trade but cutting CPVC pipe that has any age on it isn't fun. What valve you use will be the least of the job as you start to cut that pipe. In many cases if you try a PVC cutter it will shatter like glass, especially the hot water pipes.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
My entire home is CPVC. The builder used push and connect type valves everywhere. None has failed. As I remodeled the kitchen and bathrooms, I have replace then with Sharkbites. I would not glue CPVC valves as when they do fail, it'd be a bitched to replace them.

hdtvluvr

Reaction score
My entire home is CPVC. The builder used push and connect type valves everywhere. None has failed. As I remodeled the kitchen and bathrooms, I have replace then with Sharkbites. I would not glue CPVC valves as when they do fail, it'd be a bitched to replace them.
That's why I was looking at the Brasscraft KTPR19X-C. They can be unscrewed and the front half (3/4) can be replaced. I couldn't find the info on the Dahl as to whether they could be unscrewed.

Just my opinion and I'm not a plumber by trade but cutting CPVC pipe that has any age on it isn't fun. What valve you use will be the least of the job as you start to cut that pipe. In many cases if you try a PVC cutter it will shatter like glass, especially the hot water pipes.

I'm not going to cut the pipe. I'm going to use a pipe cutter and cut the flowtite valve. Removing Flowtite

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm not going to cut the pipe. I'm going to use a pipe cutter and cut the flowtite valve.
I had flowtites. just removed my last one last week replacing a toilet in my home. Came off as in the vide, turn it counter clockwise and pull at the same time.

You mention a pipe cutter, is it like a copper pipe cutter and the plan to use it on the CPVC or a Ratcheting PVC Cutter?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wouldnt use a cutter on older cpvc I know this stuff is new but to anyone else Cpvc often breaks in pieces better to use a saw especialy if you want to cut close to existing valve.
I know the idea of glueing on a male adaper apeals to many as a plumber who has been under i guess thousands of sinks I can tell you that in the future 20 , or 30 years from now even only 10 I dont want to be the one trying to back up a male adapter and unscrew a anglestop with brittle pipe . You can also use a standard Compression anglestop Thats what I installed in the 90s on new homes same stops we use on copper personally dont recomend it though.

hdtvluvr

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks