Am I allowed to glue ABS and PVC pipes together in Bloomingdale IL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Antil

Reaction score
Am I allowed to glue ABS and PVC pipes together in Bloomingdale IL.

Reach4

Reaction score
Edit. I think yes. http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/077/077008900C03400R.html says
1) Plastic-Commingling. There shall be no commingling of plastic materials within the same plumbing system except through the use of proper adaptors or approved solvent as listed in Appendix A.Table A, for connections transitioning from one material to another, only.​

Transition cement meeting ASTM D 3138-2011 is listed in Apendix A section A. http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/077/07700890ZZ9996aaR.html for both ABS and PVC. This cement is colored green.

Allowed or not, you would usually prefer to use a banded coupler, I would think. I am not a plumber.

mission_bandseal.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is a transition glue, that my inspectors don't let me use.
I use the correct banded couplings for that. They make them for all pipe sizes

mission_bandseal.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Transition glue is rated for non-pressurized systems only, however our gas utility uses it to connect new PVC lines to the old "high pressure" ABS gas lines.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks