Air gap when dishwasher is not near the sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

kayp

Reaction score
I have had a dishwasher located in my kitchen island for 25 years that has worked perfectly. But the drain hose loops up, and then down to the basement to drain.

I'm putting in a new dishwasher; does this set up fulfill the air gap requirement? is that why it is looped up on the back wall of the cabinet before heading down to the basement?

Attachments

• IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 40

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Terrible and not to code. Don't use it that way. Put in a DW air gap on the sink, run drain to the air gap any way you can.

Themp

Reaction score
40 years using a high loop. And my latest dishwasher has a built in air gap.

I kind of equate a DW air gap to the hose bib backflow preventer. Of the hundreds of homes in my subdivision, most of the backflow preventers have been removed or they have failed. And most homeowners have no idea what they were meant to do.

DaveC1

Reaction score
Terrible and not to code. Don't use it that way. Put in a DW air gap on the sink, run drain to the air gap any way you can.
I have an issue where the DW is about 4 feet from the Kitchen Sink. Tenant was complaining about smell from the DW so I changed out the drain line. I did a high loop and avoided the air gap. Not sure how it is doing now. 1) Do I need to use an Air Gap even if I have a high loop? 2)are there special considerations(slope of the drain line, etc.) if the DW is far from the sink? Thanks in advance, Dave

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks