ABS thread to cast iron

Users who are viewing this thread

Yersmay

Writing, constructionDIY Member
Reaction score
I am now installing the shower drain... I have a cast iron drain with a threaded connection for the 2" drain pipe. I bought a threaded male ABS adapter, screwed it in the cast iron drain... It seemed like the threads were kind of sloppy against one another... and there is no tapered thread for things to mush up against each other. I put Gasoila on the threads, gently but firmly snugged the ABS fitting up into the cast iron... But before I bury this under a ton of mud and tile -- can I expect this ABS to Cast Iron threaded connection to be water tight? Or have I mixed materials that are not truly sized for one another? Thanks again for your advice.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
joint

First, check the Gasoila can to see if it can be used with ABS plastic. If not, then it will melt the threads and it will not make any difference whether the threads were compatible or not. The two threads are standard pipe threads, although the male adapter could screw all the way in without "tightening" since it is plastic and can compress to a certain extent.

Yersmay

Writing, constructionDIY Member
Reaction score
Thank you HJ. Actually I called Gasoila and they said it's okay to use on ABS but not on PVC. I'm nervous about this threaded joint. Before it's installed, do you think I should take it apart and add some wraps of teflon tape, more Gasoila? Or will I make things worse?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
While it is not customary dope the male threads and the female threads and screw it together. This should take care of any leaks. Be sure the threads are dry when applying the dope. Don't scimp on the dope.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks