washing machine cold water backing up into hot water line

Users who are viewing this thread

moosehead

Reaction score
Replaced the inlet valve on my whirlpool duet washing machine a couple months ago. The old one was leaking water into the drum when not in use.
Replacement went fine for a couple months. Not the hot water shut off valve is leaking when the washing machine is only using cold water. I verified this by shutting off the hot water completely and ran the machine on cold cycle. As soon as the machine starts using water, the hot water shutoff starts to leak.
I was just going to replace the shut off valves since they are boiler drain type and thought it was leaking at the valve stem. I tried to run the machine on a cold cycle to see if it would be able to be used until I can replace the shutoff. Thats when I noticed that the hot water shutoff was leaking only when the washing machine ran. The hot water valve is shut completely.

Am I correct in thinking the valve failed and the cold water is backfeeding up to the hot water shut off?
Im planning on replacing the shut off valves any way, but should I also replace the inlet valve unit on the washing machine?

Reach4

Reaction score
Remove any device that you leave attached to your laundry tub faucet.

Any chance you have one of these? https://images.thdstatic.com/productImages/52a79381-2655-41a3-b006-0d38f730ed99/svn/everbilt-washing-machine-parts-hrbfil02eb-64_100.jpg{/img]

Probably not, but I thought I would check.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Replaced the inlet valve on my whirlpool duet washing machine a couple months ago. The old one was leaking water into the drum when not in use.
Replacement went fine for a couple months. Not the hot water shut off valve is leaking when the washing machine is only using cold water. I verified this by shutting off the hot water completely and ran the machine on cold cycle. As soon as the machine starts using water, the hot water shutoff starts to leak.
I was just going to replace the shut off valves since they are boiler drain type and thought it was leaking at the valve stem. I tried to run the machine on a cold cycle to see if it would be able to be used until I can replace the shutoff. Thats when I noticed that the hot water shutoff was leaking only when the washing machine ran. The hot water valve is shut completely.

Am I correct in thinking the valve failed and the cold water is backfeeding up to the hot water shut off?
Im planning on replacing the shut off valves any way, but should I also replace the inlet valve unit on the washing machine?
To me, the hot water shutoff valve is the valve feeding the cold water inlet to the water heater.

If you close that valve at the water heater, that should prevent pressurized hot water from coming out anywhere. There still could be some gravity-powered water for a while.
If you close that valve and turn on a hot water spigot that you can monitor, water coming out more than gravity can explain would indicate a crossover.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks