• IPC/IRC says ok

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IPC/IRC doesn't allow

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeD

Reaction score
Custom home design-build contractor, planning stages to build my first slab-on-grade home (common out here in AZ where I've moved). IPC, and I'm not familiar with IPC yet. Is it ok to put a 2" ABS vertical vent through a 12" wide by 12" deep concrete footing, rather than just the concrete slab? (Seems like it must be, or all plumbing would have to be on interior non-bearing walls in slab-on-grade regions.)

Also, I've always specified ABS for DWV, but I know some people use PVC for vents- any benefits to PVC over ABS in contact with concrete? And regardless of which I use, would you sleeve it in some 3"? Likely cant ever get under slab foundation to replace drain fixtures anyway, so not sure sleeving will do any good, unless it's important to keep the vent pipes un-fixed to concrete for curing or shifting reasons. But I don't think anyone is doing that with drains out here, so I'm guessing it's unnecessary.

Finally, does anyone see a problem with putting through-slab sink drains a couple inches in FRONT of the wall framing? Again with this being my first slab-on-grade build, I'm worried if the plumber doesn't correctly get the drain placement centered in the future wall location before we pour the concrete foundation, that would seem to mean having to permanently move the wall framing and change room size after the concrete is poured if we discover the drain placement isn't entirely accurate when we're laying out wall plates. So I'm thinking if all sinks are in cabinets anyway, why not specify the sink drains a few inches in front of the wall framing...the drain through floor would be hidden by cabinets, it should make framing faster/easier, and we're not as likely to have to move a wall if the plumber's placement is a little bit off. If the plumber has it right, fine, if it's a few inches in front of that or side-to-side it's fine because still hidden by cabinet (won't even cause stud locations to have to shift inside wall if a little off side-to-side), and if its a few inches back, well that's fine too because now it's in the wall where it's normally expected ;) There's just some plumbing along interior load-bearing walls in this design, and I definitely don't want to have to move those walls, and discover that causes structural/engineering issues.

But I've never put sink drains through floor in front of walls before, so don't know if I'm not thinking of something that could be an issue. Cabinet install will be a little more difficult because will have to notch out a small section of cabinet floor (and potentially some cabinet back), so that if homeowner wants to replace the cabinets in the future they can slide them out around the through-floor drain, but that shouldn't be too hard to modify the cabinets to do. Anything other issues ya'll can think of?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
A) If you interrupt a continuous footing for 3" - 4", it's not going to be a problem for a distributed load on the continuous footing. You might hit a 45 or 90 just below the slab so the drain exits the side of the footing strip, rather than the bottom.

B) The DWV needs to be separated from the concrete. One reason is that concrete shrinks as the excess water evaporates, so if you don't separate it, the concrete will clamp down on the pipe and put stress on it. So at a minimum you wrap it in a foam separator material, which is crushable. You could instead sleeve, in which case you'd want to seal the annular void.

C) Certainly doable, you could kick the drain/vent back into the wall with a pair of 45s, either above or below the sink san-tee. I've never done underslab plumbing, though; I would think the plumbers would be able to place things on layout to within 1/2"? Not sure if that's a reasonable expectation, hopefully others with experience can tell us.

Cheers, Wayne

MikeD

Reaction score
Thanks Wayne. I don't think 1/2" accuracy would be too much to ask. I just try to imagine all that can go wrong, and like to avoid potential problem areas when at all possible. If I place the drains in front of the wall, no doubt plumber will get it perfect. ..it'll just be something else I didn't think of that goes wrong ;) I'm sure 99% of the time plumbers don't make that mistake, but if they happened to on this build, moving these walls even a little would cause other issues. And of course concrete slab would make fixing the drain location almost impossible.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wouldnt think AZ slab homes be much differant than CA even though we are UPC. we give a good wraping of foam wherever contact with concrete occurs and nothing special on outside walls. Try to visit home construction sites nearby and get a peek on how its done in AZ