Vent Stack Location Through Roof

Users who are viewing this thread

Redrum

Reaction score
Hello,

Forgive me if this has been addressed before, I searched and can not find anything.

My question, is there an ideal location (near ridge, eave, or somewhere in between) to penetrate a roof with a plumbing vent stack?

Background, please see the picture. I have a camp/cabin in Northern New York/Tug Hill Area (allot of snow). It is seasonal now, but I have plans on using it in the winter eventually (a couple weeks at a time).

Anyhow, it is built on a slab so my plumbing modifications/options were limited. When I bought it, only the toilet went to the septic, the shower, and sinks went to a dry well somewhere. I found where all of the drains left the slab, and have since changed this, all drains go to the septic.

The toilet was vented outside to under the eave, the sinks, shower were not vented. I added AAV's for the sinks, and tied the shower and toilet together in wall (joined above flood plane). The vent now runs up the wall into a 24" rafter bay. The pitch is 4/12 (18 degrees)

So, it's time to run the vent from the wall through the roof. The camp is about 30' wide, so the rafter bay is about 16' to the peak. The question is, what is the ideal location to run it through the roof? I can anywhere, it's just a little more cheap PVC. I can see near the peak (how far away?) being a possibility, least amount of snow accumulation and least amount of water running past the boot. But is it?

I would appreciate any thoughts or experiences on this

Jim

Attachments

• camp vent location.jpg
    camp vent location.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 464

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
As long as the vent pipe is 4" diameter to prevent hoarfrost and at least 2 Feet above the roof surface (old NYC code was 5 feet) used for weather protection only

Do to all the leaves present I would strongly suggest vandal proof vent cap to keep leaves and animals out

Also use Cast iron for the vent terminal as PVC should not be exposed to direct sunlight

https://www.grainger.com/product/20...16578&ef_id=XLJhwwAAFK1q4evR:20190507150000:s

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Also using a vent cap will prevent Oscillation and less chances of negative pressure resulting in trap seal loss

Redrum

Reaction score
Thank you both for your reply, its nice to have an opinion before cutting a hole in the roof. I'll probably use PVC anyhow, painting helps with exposure issues, and this place is in the woods. A varmint proof cap is a good idea as there are critters everywhere and due to being cut into a hill, roof access is easy for them.

Thanks again;
Jim

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks