Used wrong size trowel for wall tile

Users who are viewing this thread

ToneMalone66

Reaction score
Good Evening,

I installed 12x24 wall tile in my shower remodel. I realize now that I should have used a 1/2 x 1/2 trowel, but used a 1/4"x1/4" trowel. I back buttered and troweled each tile as well as the wall. I pullled up tiles every so often and always had good coverage of the back. The tiles were very hard to pry up and took a lot of force. Should I be worried that this mistake will cause issues down the line?

I understand why improper trowel size may cause issues on a floor where there is a lot of force and weight, but if the wall tiles hold strong will it really matter?

Appreciate any insight you may provide

WorthFlorida

6th clinical trail chemotherapy 5/15/24
Solutions
Reaction score
1/2" trowels allow for a thicker layer of thin set and usually, as on floors only, one surface gets thin set. Doing both tile and wall with thin set you're good. For shower, 1/2 allows for wider gaps under the tile That can hold water. Grout is porous and water will seep below the tile. Use a good sealer after the thin set cures Such as 511 Impregnator or Aqua Mix Sealer's Choice Gold.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Im no tile guy but for some odd reason facinated with the trade , and New ways vs old ways withen the industry , not a lot of action on here One guy Jadnashua really knows a lot . its goiod to share on here there are at least one really good Tile Forum not sure Im supposed to recomend another site though also a ton on you tube. My gut says with a good back butter and 1/4 notch you should be ok but thats coming from someone with no first hand knowledge . good luck