U by Moen(?)

Users who are viewing this thread

RunSilent

Reaction score
Howdy all,
How bad an idea would it be to put in a U by Moen shower controller in a new house? Anybody have an experience with them?

moen-u-remote.jpg

Start, stop, and
pause remotely.

Use the smart phone app to set the perfect temperature for your shower.

moen-u-start.jpg

moen-u-alexa.jpg

Voice activation
  • Start, Stop and Pause your shower with your voice
  • Create a preset within the U by Moen app and start it with Alexa
  • Start your shower to a specific temperature

moen-u-control.jpg

Control Your Digital Shower Your Way

U by Moen has forever transformed showering to create a personalized showering experience. Now with three ways to control your smart shower: voice, phone, and controller.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
  • Start, Stop and Pause your shower with your voice
I believe I wrote about a voice activated shower in 1996. So they finally have one now?
From my 1996 story
https://terrylove.com/gates.htm

The Shower

I next checked out the shower, complete with bench seat and a myriad of showerheads. I didn't see controls so I walked into the shower to get a close look at the lack of controls. I heard Bill say, "Full spray."

Instantly water started spraying me from all sides! "Done"

wet_1.gif

I looked at a grinning Bill. "Sorry, man. I couldn't resist."

Soaked to the skin, I could only laugh. "Here, let's get you some dry clothes"

He walked up to a door that slid open as he approached "Star Trek" style. Inside was a dressing room with two circular clothes racks. "Casual" A rack started rotating and stopped when the casual clothes were in front of us. I quickly changed and we went on with the tour.

Maximus_Slime

Reaction score
And here I thought only water heaters, fridges and other appliances with wifi were solutions in search of a problem. Now the shower no longer has to feel left out and can join in on the fun.

Simply being able to turn a shower valve, and have hot water come out reliably with out any gimmicks involved would be my route forward.

Other than the bling factor, which will wear off in less than three weeks, and I'm being generous with the 3 weeks, what's the draw to this? As far as I can tell, shower valves are pretty much perfected at this point. Why complicate the matter with electronic circuits, servos, wi-fi, and alexa?

tenflyer

Reaction score
Maximus that is like saying why complicate a land line phone which worked for 80 years and use an iPhone. Everything now is connected whether we like it or not. I plan to install two of these systems in a new build we are starting. The ability to have the shower preheat by voice control, and have 4 outputs without having to place several trim pieces on the shower wall is appealing. It’s not for everybody and certainly not cheap. I was 50/50 on it because it of course may break more often but bumped into someone who had one of these and he couldn’t stop raving about it. And supposedly Moen does stand behind it should there be a problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks