Toilet drain pipe leaking under flooring in bathroom. Tore out the sheet rock and found this. Can this be pulled out and replaced easily?

Users who are viewing this thread

Concrete Guy

Reaction score
20220516_105402.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yes its easy to remove the coupling to replace with a shielded one. assuming that's your question . I cant see a cause of the leak

WorthFlorida

6th clinical trail chemotherapy 5/15/24
Solutions
Reaction score
This is the type that must be used. Furnco is the most common brand out there. For drainage system couplings must be shielded. No obvious signs of a leak but below the clean out doesn't look too good. Suspect that the toilet wax ring or flange has failed.

1652720154321.png

Concrete Guy

Reaction score
Bathroom remodel just done upstairs. New toilet was just installed by a local plumber. However, right after we noticed the water coming up from under the laminate flooring in the basement bathroom which is right behind this pipe. The leak seems to be where the pipe goes into the floor.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, while I'm sure many are installed without it, you're supposed to tighten those clamps with a special torque wrench on the coupling.

DOes the newly installed toilet rock, even slightly? Assuming they used a wax ring, if the toilet moves, it will compress the wax, and it isn't a spring, so when it rocks back, it can leave a gap. If that's the case, it needs to be redone. Follow the instructions in the sticky at the top of this forum section.

Concrete Guy

Reaction score
It seems like the leak is coming from the area where the pipe goes into the white PVC section. I was assuming that the white pvc was just the "form" for when the concrete pad for the basement was poured. Could this still be a bad toilet ring you think? I'm having nightmares of having to have my basement floor jackhammered up.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It could be that when setting the toilet, the wax ring moved. Most pros put the wax ring on the flange, then set the toilet down onto it...the instructions often say to install the wax ring on the toilet, then set the toilet, but sometimes, the wax ring, if it wasn't pushed hard enough, or it was cooler, doesn't stick and can shift. Usually, if that happens, it can create a partial clog, but it could shift enough to create a void in the seal.

Have you had someone flush the toilet while you're down there looking to try to get a better idea where it's coming from?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think it looks to me like someone jammed an ABS cleanout tee into a random schedule 35 sewer pipe that may not even be hooked up to the sanitary sewer. Unless that is a sleeve. Can you open the plug and use a flashlight and mirror to see down the line. If its black pipe you might be OK-ish.. if its white.. youre hosed.
ABS to SDR.jpg

Last edited:

Concrete Guy

Reaction score
You are right about were the leak is. The white pipe seems to be just a sleeve and the black pipe pvc scd 40 3" continues through it. The Furnco fitting is not right but it is not where the leak is, it appears to be coming back up through the sleeve and the line is not plugged at all.

Reach4

Reaction score
Bathroom remodel just done upstairs. New toilet was just installed by a local plumber. However, right after we noticed the water coming up from under the laminate flooring in the basement bathroom which is right behind this pipe. The leak seems to be where the pipe goes into the floor.
Behind? I was thinking this was a horizontal pipe, but I did not know the direction of flow.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
is it possible your c/o plug is leaking? when you flush repeatedly do you get leakage?

Reach4

Reaction score
Behind? I was thinking this was a horizontal pipe, but I did not know the direction of flow. Is this a photo looking up or looking down? Which way is the toilet waste coming from?

Concrete Guy

Reaction score
is it possible your c/o plug is leaking? when you flush repeatedly do you get leakage?
yes! I dont think it is the clean out plug though. Seems to be a bit lower. The only time it leaks is if we flush upstairs. It's a brand new toilet above this pipe. We are turning the HUGE master bath upstairs into a powder room and a seperate primary bathroom. The toilet above this BEFORE was removed and the new toilet was shifted over a few feet and installed two weeks by a professional plumber here in town. The picture is where the clean out was hidden behind sheetrock in the downstairs hallway. The room right behind this is the full downstairs kids bath where we first noticed the water coming up from under the vinyl plank flooring right behind where the pipe is. The carpet right in front of the pipe in the picture was getting pretty wet as well.

Concrete Guy

Reaction score
Behind? I was thinking this was a horizontal pipe, but I did not know the direction of flow. Is this a photo looking up or looking down? Which way is the toilet waste coming from?
The pipe is vertical in the hallway wall in basement right below where new toilet was just installed upstairs. We tore out the sheetrock when we noticed the carpet in the picture, right in front of the pipe, was getting wet. Who the heck sheet rocks over a cleanout pipe? Right next to this is the doorway at the end of the hall for the kids bathroom downstairs. The water was coming up in the cracks of the laminate flooring in the bathroom right behind the pipe. Here is a better pic. Nothing in the bathroom behind leaks. Just the flushing of the new toilet upstairs, above this.

Attachments

• 20220516_105406.jpg
    20220516_105406.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 113

Concrete Guy

Reaction score
It rums vertical in the basement hallway under the new bathroom upstairs. Only flushing the new toilet causes the problem. SMDH.

Attachments

• 20220516_105406.jpg
    20220516_105406.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 83

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a pro.

Is the ABS pipe just hanging loose in the PCV pipe? If so, that is certainly not right and could leak. It could also let sewer gasses escape into your dwelling. Is there a smell?

Concrete Guy

Reaction score
I am not a pro.

Is the ABS pipe just hanging loose in the PCV pipe? If so, that is certainly not right and could leak. It could also let sewer gasses escape into your dwelling. Is there a smell?
no doesnt seem to be loose. No smell at all. There were a couple seems in the abs pipe that leaked a tiny bit from being jiggled around when the pipe was sawed above in the ceiling where the new run was put in for the new toilet. I think the silicone gave a little. So I replaced that with the white pvc. No leaks there now. Just under the clean out plug. Ugh. Gotta figure out what to tear out next I guess.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is the ABS pipe just hanging loose in the PCV pipe?
The white pipe seems to be just a sleeve and the black pipe pvc scd 40 3" continues through it.
If it leaks up through the sleeve when the toilet upstairs is flushed, the easy answer is to not ever flush the toilet.. solved.

If this is slab on grade, you are going to need to get someone with a camera/locator and track down where the pipe is busted under the slab and get that repaired. Not only is the drain broken and leaking, it will also be undermining your slab with every flush.