Toilet drain is leaking someplace. :(((

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Messages
5,710
Reaction score
1,281
Points
113
Location
92346
that is classic sign of bowl wax leak . but you already tried fixing and now same thing so look hard to just jump on doing another wax. was the flange at proper height and secured to floor? can you push up on that 90 (with toilet removed) if it moves that 100 percent needs fixing and may be the cause. I doubt there is a leak at the flange or 90 , but a doubt isn't good enough lets fix it .
whack the 90 off put good blocking in and secure real good if you choose , that would be 99 percent chance (with proper toilet install) likely over kill . of course a 1 percent chance bad toilet . my guess is that its all loose not properly affixed to floor
 

Lee_Leses

Member
Messages
127
Reaction score
3
Points
18
Location
Pennsylvania
that is classic sign of bowl wax leak . but you already tried fixing and now same thing so look hard to just jump on doing another wax. was the flange at proper height and secured to floor? can you push up on that 90 (with toilet removed) if it moves that 100 percent needs fixing and may be the cause. I doubt there is a leak at the flange or 90 , but a doubt isnt good enough lets fix it .
whack the 90 off put good blocking in and secure real good if you choose , that would be 99 percent chance (with proper toilet install) likely over kill . of cource a 1 percent chance bad toilet . my guess is that its all loose not properly affixed to floor

Thank's Jeff! I don't believe the flange is moving, it's grouted in place but not sure. From the picture I too do not think it has enough support. But you do think it's reasonable to not be thinking everything has to be replaced? Maybe just the 90 and better secure it?
 

Lee_Leses

Member
Messages
127
Reaction score
3
Points
18
Location
Pennsylvania
I am not a plumber. Sorry.. no budgetary numbers for you. I have reconsidered your picture with the red arrow. Is that a toilet right above there? If so, yes, the leaking would be coming from above, and I don't know if the problem was wax or if the connection below the closet flange was at fault.

Blockage can contribute a lot to wax leaks.

Thanks Reach! I still think it's not the wax ring. Does not seem blocked things are flushing great.
 

Reach4

Well-Known Member
Messages
35,982
Reaction score
3,774
Points
113
Location
IL
The hose test still seems worth while. If water leaks out during that test, then that will prove the piping is the problem. But if not, ...
 

Lee_Leses

Member
Messages
127
Reaction score
3
Points
18
Location
Pennsylvania
The hose test still seems worth while. If water leaks out during that test, then that will prove the piping is the problem. But if not, ...

I agree. The only problem is this has to be done quick because sadly this the only toilet in the house <ugh!!!>.

Reach, I swear there's a reducing fitting and that's where it's leaking. See the pic, I think it's a 3" 90 and an extra fitting to reduce the flange from 4" to 3". While possible to assemble that way, it creates an additional failure point right where there's the most flushing forces. :(

I'm going to do more inspecting today from the access in the garage and the bathtub access.

ring 1a.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Lee_Leses

Member
Messages
127
Reaction score
3
Points
18
Location
Pennsylvania
See how these two flanges are different? One is flared and one isn't. Maybe that's not a 4" - 3" on my flange, maybe it's all one piece except for the joint at the 90. I need someone who knows what they're doing! :)
 

Attachments

  • flared.jpg
    flared.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 21
  • not flared.jpg
    not flared.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 20

Lee_Leses

Member
Messages
127
Reaction score
3
Points
18
Location
Pennsylvania
Maybe this could seal a small leak in the joint between the elbow and the flange?

wax free.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Well-Known Member
Messages
35,982
Reaction score
3,774
Points
113
Location
IL
Maybe this could seal a small leak in the joint between the elbow and the flange?
I am not expecting that to seal against an actual backup, it looks like it would protect against water spraying out on its way down.
 

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Messages
5,710
Reaction score
1,281
Points
113
Location
92346
Lee, the flange likely dosent need support as it is sitting on floor. but often not secured to floor and the issue is the flange is pulled up against toilet squishing all the wax out. Get under neath and push up on the 90 if it moves you got an issue
 

Reach4

Well-Known Member
Messages
35,982
Reaction score
3,774
Points
113
Location
IL
Lee, the flange likely dosent need support as it is sitting on floor. but often not secured to floor and the issue is the flange is pulled up against toilet squishing all the wax out. Get under neath and push up on the 90 if it moves you got an issue
Good point. A major job of the closet flange is to hold the toilet down. If the flange itself is not held down well, that stresses stuff.

An alternative that takes the stress off of the flange itself is the Danco Hydro Seat is like repair ring with a tail. Use wax ring under. The screws thru or just inside of the legs take the lifting load.
 

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Messages
5,710
Reaction score
1,281
Points
113
Location
92346
blocks of wood screws and plumbers tape if wood is in good shape and access below is good. the danco flange looks good too for when wood or acess isnt so good
 
Top
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks