Some CAD for fun...

Users who are viewing this thread

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Some fun AutoCAD drawings...
Just for hoots, this afternoon I drew up a small mechanical room in AutoCAD from a small set of plans I had at home...
Thought you guys might get a kick out of it....

Attachments

• v1.jpg
    v1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 248
  • v2.jpg
    v2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 231
  • v3.jpg
    v3.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 215

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Took about 4.5 hours...
All from scratch - no templates...
Drawing the pumps chillers etc is the hard part...
The piping then is easier...

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
markts30 said:
Some fun AutoCAD drawings...
Just for hoots, this afternoon I drew up a small mechanical room in AutoCAD from a small set of plans I had at home...
Thought you guys might get a kick out of it....

Not bad at all. We never do 3D for plans, do you work for a contractor?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:
I couldn't touch that...if I bought the software I'd disappear into my office, never to be seen again.

It can be fun, but the real fun part is making $100-200/hr without getting your fingernails dirty. :D

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
I work for a contractor BUT they have stated they will never use CAD...LOL - I do it for fun - self taught and learning more each time I do stuff....

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
markts30 said:
I work for a contractor BUT they have stated they will never use CAD...LOL - I do it for fun - self taught and learning more each time I do stuff....

Looks like your doing real well then. If you have any cad questions I would be glad to help. I'm very very rusty with 3D stuff but everything else I'm pretty well versed in.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
FloridaOrange said:
It can be fun, but the real fun part is making $100-200/hr without getting your fingernails dirty. :D

I had a choice years ago...I had a scholarship, could have gone to college, I seriously considered mechanical engineering.
I think just about anyone here can understand what it feels like after a 14 hr day...as soon as you hear the boiler fire up..the warmth in the zone when you put your hand on it.
Most of all...the drive home.
I like to think, but I like to take part in the tangeable results even more.
Though, I'm VERY tempted to run out and get the dam software now!

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:
I had a choice years ago...I had a scholarship, could have gone to college, I seriously considered mechanical engineering.

I don't have a degree, I worked my way up from a drafter to being taught plumbing design by a master plumber who blew out his knee and retrained. I don't know as much as a master plumber but I do know alot more than the engineers I work for. I try to get into the field as much as possible to continue my training.

To be fair, my comment was a little skewed. My day job pays far less and the stuff I do at night isn't exactly steady enough to go solo...yet. I get 'em from architects and contractors who need to turn over permit drawings in 1-2 days. I pick up those sweet jobs whenever I can.

Had I known how easy most engineers have in the construction field I would've pulled my cranium from my rectum when I was 20.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
It's a matter of knowing what makes YOU happy.
I go nuts in one place all day...I also go nuts when things are predictable.
But then, there is the flip side..I would NOT venture to say engineering, or drafting isn't rewarding...NOT at all.
I just made a choice that made ME happy.
I have had occasion to look back and wonder, but then, I'm sure I'd still have occasion to do the same if I were sitting at a desk.
If I decided on lemons a long time ago...now I make lemonaide.
I still find myself reading up on science, tech and engineering break-throughs.
I still enjoy what I do.
I still want to get that software! (She'll kill me yet)

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Don't worry, the wife won't be killing you, you can't afford it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks