[SOLVED] Can't get this American Standard shower handle off, doesn't seem to be a set screw present

Users who are viewing this thread

guido

Reaction score
Made some photos:

https://imgur.com/a/mbW1EiK

It looks like there is a space where the set screw would be, but there's nothing on the inside
I rotate the whole way it allows and looked in with a flash light, and also tried to "feel" it with a screw driver, but it never latches.

I then noticed (see video) that the mantle just rotates.

Doing some reading people mentioned it could just be pushed on. I gave it a good tug, but it's firmly remaining in place. I am a little afraid of putting too much force on it

I am doing all this to see if I can fix this issue: there is no sunlight between hot and cold anymore, so I assume I need a new cartridge.

guido-2.jpg
guido-1.jpg

guido

Reaction score
I can't find a slot though, I've seen 2/32 wrenches mentioned, but it seems all smooth on the bottom

Hardt

Reaction score
Op, I currently have 2 faucets in use like that and I also have an old spare that I pulled out many years ago. I just looked at it and mine has a slotted set screw that would need about a 3/16" flat blade screwdriver to engage ...look like a #10 size screw. The handle has a rectangular hole and a plastic insert which fit snugly over the valve stem and the set screw fits in a slot in the stem. If you look into the hole with a flashlight for the set screw and don't see the screw (it sticks out from the handle about 1/4") than it may have already fallen out because it should be clearly visible. Like I said the handle fits snugly on the stem so even with the set screw loose I had to tug on the handle to pull it off. Hope this helps...good luck!

guido

Reaction score
Thank you @Terry and @Hardt !

What i turned out needing to do was to turn on the faucet to find enough room to find the allen screw.

To do that, I first needed to turn off the water (which I had other problems with, but figured out eventually)

Found a replacement cartridge at local store and I'm all set!

Love this forum!

Craig List

Reaction score
Thank you @Terry and @Hardt !

What i turned out needing to do was to turn on the faucet to find enough room to find the allen screw.

To do that, I first needed to turn off the water (which I had other problems with, but figured out eventually)

Found a replacement cartridge at local store and I'm all set!

Love this forum!
Hi

I am trying to replace the cartridge for the same shower trim. Do you happen to have the model number for the replacement cartridge?

Thanks
Craig

Last edited:

Jay45

Reaction score
I know this is an old post, but I also am trying to replace the cartrige on this model faucet. Does anyone have a clue what model it is?