Need help to identify American Standard shower faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Gryphon

Reaction score
We have a shower with an American Standard single knob faucet that hasn't been used in 6-7 years. When I tried to use it recently there was no water flow and the knob was very difficult to move.

DSCN4235.JPG

I tried to take it apart to check the cartridge, but there is a chrome part under the acrylic knob that I can't remove. I have looked, and there are no set screws or any other fasteners holding this part in place. The threaded hole for the screw that holds the acrylic knob is blind so it doesn't appear that the screw for the knob holds the chrome part in place.

DSCN4236.JPG

I have searched for several hours and can find no information on the unit. The escutcheon is clearly marked "American Standard" but I can find no reference to this particular fixture. I suspect that it is mid 60's to early 70's vintage as the house was built in 1964. Here is a detail of the post the knob is attached to.

DSCN4237.JPG

I'm hoping someone can identify the model of the faucet, and possibly give some advice on getting to the cartridge.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I also believe that needs a pull. You might wanna turn the water off first. You never know what your gonna get when your start pulling.

I pulled so hard for so long on a handle the other day I thought I was gonna break the counter top or pull the whole assembly out. Right when I thought I was screwed she pulled off. Since yours gets used so seldom it's probably gonna be harder.

Gryphon

Reaction score
I also believe that needs a pull. You might wanna turn the water off first. You never know what your gonna get when your start pulling.

I pulled so hard for so long on a handle the other day I thought I was gonna break the counter top or pull the whole assembly out. Right when I thought I was screwed she pulled off. Since yours gets used so seldom it's probably gonna be harder.
Thanks for the reply John, I went back and pulled hard enough to scare me and the knob came off as well as the faucet action loosening up.

I posted more information about where the water was coming from but the site won't let me post it. Amazing that talking about grouting is objectionable. I never knew that Terra zzo was a banned term.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks