Smell from kitchen sinks

Users who are viewing this thread

Christoff

Reaction score
Hello, we are in a 3 year old new build home with all original plumbing in Ontario Canada. no matter how much the wife uses vinegar and backing soda the smell reurns quickly. I am wondering if the plumbing was not done correctly? Pictures of the p trap under the floor with 2 clean out under the sink. Any recommends?

Attachments

• plumbing sink.jpeg
    plumbing sink.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 57
  • plumbing under floor.jpeg
    plumbing under floor.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 56

Reach4

Reaction score
Cover the sink bowls with plastic, such as a plastic drop cloth or big garbage bag. Also consider covering the dishwasher. The greater size of the plastic drop cloth can help with that. Let it sit for a good while. Sniff under the cabinet and each bowl to see if the smell is stronger in one of the places.

US people be aware that Ontario allows under-floor traps for kitchen drains. That horizontal dry vent is also something that is not so common.

Still, I expect they don't allow a vertical to horizontal with a short bend. However that is not what is causing the problem.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, but you would need to address venting. So not so fast. Make sure the smell appears in the sink bowls. If the smell turns out to be more under the sink or from the dishwasher, reorganizing the drain pipes would not help.

EDIT: Looking back it looks like the line I thought was a dry vent was actually that cleanout next to the cold supply.

If I were to suggest something that would work, it would involve adding an AAV for venting. Ontario wants AAVs to be 6 inches or more above the flood level of the sink. But if you were to put the AAV under the sink, which is the common way in the US, it would work well. Again, make sure the smell is from the sink bowls, rather than from the dishwasher or a dead animal in the wall.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
After further thought, one more easy test to add: after using much water, fairly slowly add a couple cups of water down the drain. If your problem is that your trap is getting siphoned out, that water should refill the trap U. So if you add water before bedtime, and no bowl smell in the morning, that tells us something.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are we 100% certain that the kitchen drains are hooked up to the trap? To me it looks like the line in the cabinet on the left corresponds with the cleanout.. and the drains hooked up to the sink are on the right correspond with the med sweep 90 thats not trapped.

Christoff

Reaction score
The p trap in the under floor pic. is on the right which is the right sink in the cabinet pic. The other cleanout is the short one sticking out of the floor cabinet behind the cold water line.

Eman85

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber. Does your sinks have strainers/stoppers? Close them off and leave an inch, 25mm, of water in the sinks overnight and see if the smell goes away. You could disconnect and plug the dishwasher hose and see if that changes anything. Have you cleaned out the dishwasher?

Christoff

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber. Does your sinks have strainers/stoppers? Close them off and leave an inch, 25mm, of water in the sinks overnight and see if the smell goes away. You could disconnect and plug the dishwasher hose and see if that changes anything. Have you cleaned out the dishwasher?
Yes there are baskets and when they are closed, the smell is gone. I disconnected the drain hose from the dish washer and still has the smell so def. from the ABS piping.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks