Shower shutoff valve necessary?

Users who are viewing this thread

velosnow

Reaction score
Perhaps I'm overthinking this, but I was about to begin my rough in at home for my tub/shower and saw someone mention the potential for the hot water to mix with the cold if you don't have separate shutoffs before trim kit install. His concern was that hot water mixes with say the toilet line and makes it sweat. Is this really a concern to have? Would I be needlessly sending hot water in a loop before we get to tiling and trim kit install?

I currently don't have shutoffs installed and failed to purchase a valve with shutoffs (next time!). I could install shutoffs in the crawlspace, but will be a bit of a pain based on where the access is but wouldn't be the biggest deal.

Or can I simply ensure both the mixing valve/diverter are properly capped and I'll have 3 caps on my tub spout, shower and wand connections until after tiling?

edit to add: or do I just leave the test plug installed in either the hot or cold side until I'm ready for the trim kit?

Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
If your unit has a test plug, that is good enough.
NEVER INSTALL a tub/shower valve without integral stops. It allows future repairs without shutting off the entire house.

velosnow

Reaction score
If your unit has a test plug, that is good enough.
NEVER INSTALL a tub/shower valve without integral stops. It allows future repairs without shutting off the entire house.
Thanks, and as I understand I leave the test plug in the cold side?

And yep, every valve will have stops going forward.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I doubt youll ever regret having the stops but might regret not having them.
Some valves like Delta go cheap as hell and dont incude a cartridge on the rough in pack but I like to install cartridge on rough test every thing and cap all the ends (head and spout)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks