Rinnai Tankless Water Heater issues?

Users who are viewing this thread

Czm

Reaction score
I’ve had issues with my Rinnai water heater for the past month. The water was taking a while to heat up and I knew it was time to descale the unit. I got a plumbing company to come and they said the same thing but quoted me $700 to descale/flush and change the check valve. I decided to descale and flush myself since I’m pregnant, I’m hoping to save some money for baby related items. Afterwards the water got warm quicker but it never gets hot unless I turn on the bathroom sink and the shower at the same time. It’s not isolated to just the bathroom, the kitchen faucet doesn’t get hot either. I’ve heard it could be a pressure/flow issue but I didn’t have this issue before I descaled it. I don’t know how the water pressure changed from a descale? I’m still asking the plumber to come and change the check valve since I have no idea how to do that. I’ve lived at this house for 2 years and the unit is 4-5 years old. The plumbing company is backed up and won’t be able to come again until next week. I’ve called to follow up twice on when someone can come. Would love to have a hot shower soon.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
You may not be able to perform this but I hope this explains what is going on.

I know every little about Rannai but I think what has happen is you have a recirculation system so you get hot water almost immediately at the faucets. This check valve maybe not closing (perhaps due to mineral build up) and allowing cold water to mix with the hot water thereby delivering cooled water to the faucets. Some Rannai units have the pump built in.

The check valve may look sometime like this. If you find one, at that sink shut off the cold water at the stop valve under the sink. Being pregnant, it may be too difficult to reach under the sink. Get someone to help. If this solved the hot water issue, keep it closed only during your shower since the pump is generally runs by a timer. You might get lucky by tapping the check valve with a handle of a screw driver, no hammers please, and it might cause the valve too close.
1672445298980.png

This is a typical recirculation without a dedicated return (a third pipe). Here it is named "Bridge Valve" but it is a check valve. If your system does have this device it will be at the furthest sink from the water heater. If you have a two story house it is possible there are two, one on each floor.

When no water is used, hot water is pumped to the faucet and the water returns on the cold water pipe. When you turn on hot water, the check valve is suppose too close to prevent cold water from entering on the hot water pipes and reducing the temperature.
1672445092882.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks