Replacing rubber gasket in bath tub drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Mattroy

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I am replacing the rubber gasket and putty in my cast iron bathtub to stop a leak and notified that the tub itself has a corroded spot (to the left in the picture.) Is there a way to repair that or how should I prevent a leak in the future?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 833240DF-5AC0-43F0-99E0-43D2690152EC.jpeg
    833240DF-5AC0-43F0-99E0-43D2690152EC.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 635

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Are you sure that's a cast tub and not porcelain on steel?
Cast gives a dull thud when knocked with your knuckles. Steel is more of a hollow sound.

Normally the rubber gasket seals between the shoe and the bottom of the tub without needing anything else. If the tub has rusted out there, you may need more than that. Silicone may work, and sometimes it doesn't work well, depending on how bad the corrosion is.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I replaced literally hundreds of standing tub wastes (Barrel) from cast iron tubs well over 100 years old and never have I seen a CI tub that was corroded so much that the new waste would leak

I would never install a steel tub as who likes to hear o ping ping when it is filling .

Even acrylic would be my 2nd choice

Mattroy

Reaction score
You are right Terry it appears to be steel. I pulled a quarter inch black rubber gasket out that was under the tub which I will replace but the tub on the button side is corroded so it won’t seal properly. Any suggestions other than silicon? Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have one shot at Silicone. It all has to go on wet, then assembled, and then left overnight.
Maybe that works. If not, you may be looking at a new tub.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Propoxy (Hercules) use a tiny bit then after it hardens smooth it out to make a flat surface

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks