Relocating an Expansion tank. DIY advice needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

salt&pepper

Reaction score
We have an expansion tank that currently rests horizontally on top of our boiler. The tank is only supported underneath by 2 scrap pipes. What worries me is that these scrap pipes barely provides a stable support for the expansion tank. I have been contemplating on relocating the expansion tank to the left wall of the boiler room. In this way, I will be able to relieve the boiler of the downward pressure exerted by the tank especially when it becomes waterlogged. I have attached a picture and diagrams to this post to provide a much clearer idea of the situation. I have also noticed that the expansion tank is on the outlet side of the circulator pump instead of being on the inlet side. I have learned that this arrangement is neither ideal nor recommended. My question is would it still be safe for me to extend the pipe all the way to the left wall to give the expansion tank a new place? Is there a maximum distance between the supply/boiler and the expansion tank to which I should be paying attention? I think I may have to run 4 feet of additional pipe from the original point of connection of the tank to its new location. Unfortunately, I cannot relocate the expansion tank to the immediate right wall because this wall shelters the breaker panel and most of the electrical wiring of the house. I plan to use a Flamco’s Nexus Flexconsole to hang the expansion tank. This means that I will have to drive a lag bolt into the wall one way or another. The left wall appears to be a favorable option for this step. I would be very grateful for all your help and advice. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_8614.jpg
    IMG_8614.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8615.jpg
    IMG_8615.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8616.jpg
    IMG_8616.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 69

salt&pepper

Reaction score

salt&pepper

Reaction score
Distance is ok on exp tank. We add a shutoff and hose bibb for depressurizing in the future.
The fancy wall mount you found is cool.
We often use Holdrite's bracket or similar https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin...ping&msclkid=d7e8ff191968166e74da9b3c2ba570f1
I just now realized that I may have to run around 6 to 7 feet of pipe to the left wall instead of 4 feet. I did not pay much attention to vertical run of the pipe which could take about 2 to 3 feet of pipe. Is the new distance still okay?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can put your expansion tank anywhere in the whole world. It doesn't matter. They are routinely put out of the way, in a corner, floor mount, on commercial projects.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks