Rainbird Solenoid (again)

Users who are viewing this thread

Minka22

Reaction score
I didn't see this issue on any other posts, so........ when I turn a solenoid "on" 1/4 turn, nothing happens, not for any of the four of them. 1/2 turn or 3/4 turn, still no water comes out of the sprinkler heads. How can this be? It's supposed to manually turn the water on. I know the water is on, the sprinklers spray when I test the each station from the control box.

A second item if I may: the reason I am messing with this is I have 3 stations that come on and stay on while each other station is supposed to be on by itself. From all the YouTube videos this likely means the valve for the 3 stations is stuck open due to debris in the line, so I was trying to get to the valve to flush it out. But my 4 valves are not neatly tucked away in a corner above ground as commonly seen, but rather are scattered in 4 separate locations around the front and backyard, about a foot below ground in a 9" diameter plastic cylinder. They are usually full of dirt or mud. Only the solenoid is visible; the valve is in the dirt. Should I pull up the plastic cylinders, dig out around the valves and find a way to raise them closer to the surface and cover them with a bigger plastic box? The system was put in in 2005. Thanks y'all.

Minka22

Reaction score
Well, I have a Rainbird Controller so I assumed I had Rainbird valves and solenoids, but further (literal) digging shows I have some other brand, I can't tell what it is yet. Replace them all with Rainbird? I would like to do this myself unless it becomes obvious that I cannot.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Plastic valves get used a lot. Brass is great if you can afford them.
If your valves are in the ground, then the entire system must have a primary backflow preventer supplying those valves.
Pulling the valve box is usually the only way to deal with bad valves, either to rebuild or replace.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Well, I have a Rainbird Controller so I assumed I had Rainbird valves and solenoids, but further (literal) digging shows I have some other brand, I can't tell what it is yet. Replace them all with Rainbird? I would like to do this myself unless it becomes obvious that I cannot.
All valves are nearly the same regardless of the name brand. Any valve with any controller will work. Your problem sounds like you have a Master Valve. It's placed before the irrigation pipe branches out to other zone valves.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks