My sprinklers wont shut off

Users who are viewing this thread

Newguyirragation

Reaction score
Hello all,

In my previous post i had trouble with replacing my old controller box to upgrading to an Orbit B-Hyve one. Finally after some replies/help, i got it wired up and running. (Purchased house with a broken controller, unknown how long the sprinkler system was out of commission)
I also had a lot of trouble getting my wifi phone app settings to actually get the controller to kick on but found a post where someone had mention that the Rain Delay being ON may be the problem. I took the relay delay off at the controller and now my programs on my app kicks on the controller and yard gets wet.

Here’s my problem; A zone wont shut off. I have 4 zones. Before this problem, it was working fine but now im finding that it stays on one zone for the entire program, AND would go all night if i never go outside to check. The other night, my front yard turned on and 30 mins later when i remembered that it was irrigation day i went outside and the front was still on and nothing else turned on. They are programmed for 3 mins each zone.

Now, previously when i got everything working, i was tuning all sprinklers by manually turning on/off by the valve/solenoid. And I did notice that the back yard zone will stay on when turn it off manually. Which was annoying, but I got it off by manually cutting off the main water feeding just below into the valve.

So my setup is: a new Orbit B-hyve controller, new Irritrol valve; came with a new solenoid, old indexing valve which leaks and needs to be replaced.

Now, because I have one indexing valve for 4 zones and one irrigation valve, my controller has 4 programs running about 3 mins each. So, first one starts, 3 mins running, shuts off then the next program starts 2 mins later. Plenty of time to shut the water off and allowing everything to reset to start the next zone.

But im realizing that now the zone doesn’t shut off at all. I opened the new Irritrol valve and cleaned out the diaphragm. Wasn’t dirty but still did it. Also ran the main water out while I had it open to get fresh water coming through. Everything looks fine. I adjusted the flow control valve all the way open (up) and then ran it lowered to about half. Still same problem.

This baffles me because I don’t think it’s the indexing valve, even though its old.

If I go out now and manually turn on the system, it’ll turn on. If I turn it off immediately it will turn off. But if when I go to turn it off manually after its running for like 5 secs, one of the zones will remain on, until I cut if off by the main.

~is it the NEW Solenoid?

~Is it a faulty NEW Irritol valve?

~Do I just buy a new Indexing valve to eliminate that as an issue?

~Close the flow control valve more?

Sorry so long, wanted to paint the picture of my situation.
Thank you all

IMG_5402.jpg

IMG_5403.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
irritrol valve turns water on and off. so its either the dipghram or solenoid maybe debris in there I dont know I screwed around with them a little and never had recuring problems. but flush the heck outta it . Faulty valve yes absolutely its faulty but thats not to say its defective but something in the valve is at fault even pvc shavings or something

Newguyirragation

Reaction score
irritrol valve turns water on and off. so its either the dipghram or solenoid maybe debris in there I dont know I screwed around with them a little and never had recuring problems. but flush the heck outta it . Faulty valve yes absolutely its faulty but thats not to say its defective but something in the valve is at fault even pvc shavings or something
When i took the diaphragm and the soleniod apart, it still looked brand new. No debris. But i will do it again.
Thanks!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
When i took the diaphragm and the soleniod apart, it still looked brand new. No debris. But i will do it again.
Thanks!
supposed to look new it is new. but its the irritrol grey valve 100 percent chance replace it or fix it all i can tell you

WorthFlorida

New Chemotherapy, Enhertu. Started June 20, 2024
Solutions
Reaction score
When the water is turned off, you should hear gurgling from the antishiphon valve. The index turns only when the pressure on the sprinkler side drops. You should see some water weeping from the sprinklers when the water is off. Have you checked the cam inside the index valve? The one I had the cam would wear out and not index And it looked new. I'm sure you did connect the solenoid to station 1 and not the MV terminal.

Completely remove one sprinkler and index the valve to that zone. When the water is off then back on it should have indexed. If it does you might need to be off another minute or two. The old mechanical timers (intermatic) used every where before 2000, the timing pins were 12 minutes each. You removed one pin to turn off the solenoid and wait 12 minutes.

I never like those indexing valves. I replaced my five zone with four zone valves. A lot of digging and money.

Newguyirragation

Reaction score
Yea i would like to remove this indexing and replace it with 4 zones valves.. thats for another day.

I have been messing with it and got it to work yesterday; i took it apart again but nothing dirty. Flow control valve opened fully but what i tried differently is turning the main city water valve going in to about half way. Thinking maybe with it opened all the way, like in my pictures, that maybe it was too much pressure? no idea. But by me doing that, it seemed to work perfectly.
Zoned turned on, ran for 3 mins, turned off, and a min later the next one did the same. All 4 worked.
Maybe its fixed. We will see in the next runs in the week.

WorthFlorida

New Chemotherapy, Enhertu. Started June 20, 2024
Solutions
Reaction score
The problem could be the anti siphon valve. When the water is turned off you should hear gurgling and as the pressure drops the index valve can rotate. Too much pressure while Irrigating may have caused the anti valve from opening. Essentially stuck. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Newguyirragation

Reaction score
Yes, so far so good! my system is working perfectly. I guess it was too much pressure from the main line into my valve. So leaving it open to what looks like 70-80% instead of 100 might be the trick. It went through about 8 cycles since and perfect everytime. Thanky you!