pvc vs copper

Users who are viewing this thread

little buddy

Reaction score
I am wanting to run a cold water line around my pool area and a hot and cold line to my gazeebo. I am having new concrete poured and would like to run these line under the concrete. Which would be best, pvc or copper? I will have the capability to drain these lines for the winter.

little buddy

Reaction score
Thanks Rancher, as you can see I am new at this. Any suggestions or advise wil be greatly appreaciated. I have enjoyed looking at other peoples problems and the solutions.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

Under concrete I would not use PVC if possible. If it breaks, and I have a situation like that right now, you will be breaking the Kool-deck to repair it.

little buddy

Reaction score
Thanks Hj for your reply.I understand what you're saying about using pvc, however what would if a joint in the copper would start to leak? { I guess a leak would be better than a broken pvc pipe.Hhhhhhhh}

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Use a roll of soft copper and you won't have any fittings underground, only at the ends.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is there any way you can avoid burying the line in concrete? Maybe a channel in the concrete for the pipe with a cover plate or around the side(s) of the slab? Water and drains that are covered with solid concrete eventually fail and then you have a real dilemma.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
IF it were mine i'd probably run a 3" pvc conduit then pull the water line thru that, this way I can always replace in the future...

little buddy

Reaction score
Thanks Chris for the reply, I had thought about this but was faced with the delima if I should ever have to replace the water line, what would I do where the water line 90's up through concrete to a faucet and also where the water line t's and runs to the gazebo. I guess I could always put an access cover at both locations.:confused:

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Thanks Chris for the reply, I had thought about this but was faced with the delima if I should ever have to replace the water line, what would I do where the water line 90's up through concrete to a faucet and also where the water line t's and runs to the gazebo. I guess I could always put an access cover at both locations.:confused:

Use pvc that comes in a roll.... and yes you could use a access location, or just not T the water line...

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
If you use sweep elbows on the conduit, then you could pull polyethylene tubing through it.

R

Rancher

This is a good idea, pull PE thru a 3" or 4" PVC thinwall sewer pipe (they stopped selling the 3" here, nobody bought it).

I personnally have never had a pvc pipe break underground, or a connection go bad.

Rancher

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pvc

I personnally have never had a pvc pipe break underground, or a connection go bad.

Neither have I, but I have fixed hundreds of them. Copper joints should not break. PVC joints don't either very often. The fittings crack.

little buddy

Reaction score
Big Thanks

Thanks to all of you for all of your great ideas. I'm sure any one of them would work just fine. I think I'm going to go with pvc for the cold water line and cpvc for the hot. The way I look at it is, I'm 55 years old and it will look fine, last a long time. Then my kids can take care of it.:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks