Pump "Ka chunk" sound when using above ground water tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Cahoffa

Reaction score
We just installed an above ground tank because the inground water tank has a leak. We installed shutoff valves, so the tenants could decide if they wanted to use the above tank or the inground tank (when it's fixed). Whenever the above tank is used solely (the ground tank valve is closed), the pump comes up to pressure and then makes a "Ka chunk" sound. The tank will come to pressure again, and then make the "Ka chunk" sound over and over. We have been struggling with this situation for six weeks, and we need help!

Attachments

• IMG_2162.JPG
    IMG_2162.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 201

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I don't see a check valve anywhere? You need one on the suction side of the pump to keep water from flowing back to the storage tank when the pump shuts off.

Cahoffa

Reaction score
I don't see a check valve anywhere? You need one on the suction side of the pump to keep water from flowing back to the storage tank when the pump shuts off.

Yes, I suspected that might be the case. Thank you so much for responding. I really appreciate it. Does it matter where along the white pipe the valve should be placed?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Usually just before the pump.
I would assume the old tank had a foot valve so if you place a check at the pump, it would be hard to prime the line to the old tank. I assume the old tank being buried might be lower than the pump.

In order to keep both tanks working the same, I suggest the check valve be placed close to the tank.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would assume the old tank had a foot valve so if you place a check at the pump, it would be hard to prime the line to the old tank. I assume the old tank being buried might be lower than the pump.

In order to keep both tanks working the same, I suggest the check valve be placed close to the tank.

Yeah except if that line going through the floor is another place to draw water, then the check valve would need to be after that and before the pump.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Yeah except if that line going through the floor is another place to draw water, then the check valve would need to be after that and before the pump.
That line goes to the buried tank which I assume has a foot valve. Again, the check valve should be close to the above ground tank.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If there is a foot valve then fine. But if no foot valve the check needs to go between that tee and the pump. But it would make no difference if that line to the buried tank is never opened.

Cahoffa

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Thank you for all the advice. We installed a check valve close to the above ground tank, and everything is working fine... except for the ground tank with meltwater from the spring. One step at a time!
Cahoffa

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Then you are going to need a foot valve or a check valve in the line to the ground tank. Check valve is fine close to the above ground storage tank until you open that valve to the ground tank. Then you need a check of foot valve in that line as well. Putting the check just before the pump would have worked for both tanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks