Price Pfister Avante push-pull cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

Barry Lewis

Reaction score
Help !!! - I have the Price Pfister Avante style cartidge that is stuck - I was able to

remove 3 of 4 but this last one is stuck so bad I think I might damage the pipes if I

apply any more pressure when I pull on it- I thought about maybe drilling a hole thru the

thing but worried about loose plastic in the pipes - anyone have any suggestions ? Or

should i bite the bullet and hire a plumber

Any help appreciated

PriceFister-2.jpg

PriceFister1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
First you have to remove the locknut. Then put the screw back into the stem. Grab it some pliers, push it in, then YANK it out hard and quick. Repeat as necessary and it WILL come out.

pp-avante-shower-gold.jpg

Barry Lewis

Reaction score
Sorry - should have posted pic of everything removed - yes locknut is removed - all that left is that plug and pipes - did not try to push in then pull but I will give that a try - thx

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
NO! It will just be in the way of the pliers you use to grab the screw. IF I wanted you to put the handle back on, I would have said so.

phister-avante-terrylove.jpg

Barry Lewis

Reaction score
Ok - jeez - I screwed the handle back on and used it instead of the pliers because I get better leverage - I already removed 3 of these - I did NOT use the back and forth motion you suggested - so thanks for that suggestion - I am good - my goodness

2002sheds

Reaction score
Ok - jeez - I screwed the handle back on and used it instead of the pliers because I get better leverage - I already removed 3 of these - I did NOT use the back and forth motion you suggested - so thanks for that suggestion - I am good - my goodness

I realize that this is really late, but I am writing in case someone else faces the situation described above and all the remedies that have been detailed fail to work. The Avante cartridge in our 2 showers were super stubborn. One finally pulled out, but the other had to be drilled in several places (be careful of the threaded cylinder walls, fortunately the cartridge is mainly plastic) and pulled out in pieces. Turns out that the rubber on the sides of the cylinder were without lubrication for so long that they "welded" themselves to the cylinder wall. Both had to be scraped out... putting the screw back in and pulling only resulted in the end of the shaft breaking -- that's how stuck this one was.