Pressure testing new system - slow pressure loss

Users who are viewing this thread

Zimm0who0net

Reaction score
I've got a fairly small plumbing system that I just put in a guest house we're building. 2 bathrooms, a bar sink and a laundry. It's generally PEX-A with some copper stub-outs. To test, I turned the system on, then turned off the main ball valve and I've been watching for pressure loss. It started 3 days ago at 58 psi and it's now at 54 psi.

So my guess is that I've got a small leak somewhere, but I've been to every fitting trying to feel for water and can't find anything. This is a brand new system and there's a ton of air in the line (especially at the dead end stub outs). I tried purging where possible, but it's not possible everywhere. I'm wondering if maybe the air in the line is dissolving into the water causing a very very slow pressure drop?

I don't think it's temperature related because as I watch throughout the day it doesn't seem to ever go up...

My little test setup has an industrial pressure gauge along with an air fitting, so theoretically I could put compressed air into the line as well, but I've been a bit nervous to go over the 58psi that my city water is at for fear of blowing out shower or wall-mounted faucet valves.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You lost 4 pounds in three days?
I would call that good. You might have lost that in the gauge itself. If you had any kind of leak, after three days you would have had next to nothing.

Reach4

Reaction score
My little test setup has an industrial pressure gauge along with an air fitting, so theoretically I could put compressed air into the line as well,
I thought loss-of-pressure tests were only done with air or other gas.

When testing with water, don't you look for drop in the water column or a leak?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
when water and air are in a system the test wont be that good it will drop .... also pex expands when pressurized might be a problem . just turn water on leave it on and monitor it. if your scared leave it on for few hours at first but it sounds good

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Water is the safest way to check a system especially plastic (except for gas)

The easiest way to show why most plumbers use water when possible is this example

Take two balloons one filled with air and the other filled with water

Pop each balloon and the one with water plops open, the one filed with air acts violently

When doing a 5 year test a a large boiler steam for example we close the King valve fill the boiler with water gag the safety valves and test same with a sprinkler and stand pipe for fire suppression

Kathleen O'Brien

Reaction score
I'm trying to air-test test a new system--also not very involved--using a Pasco gauge with a bicycle valve. I THINK I have everything capped, but exactly zero pressure builds. None at all, acts as if it's a wide-open system. Of course, something--or everything--major is not actually closed off. Anyone have ideas about what the "usual suspects" could be? I'm using pex-A and rings.

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm trying to air-test test a new system--also not very involved--using a Pasco gauge with a bicycle valve. I THINK I have everything capped, but exactly zero pressure builds. None at all, acts as if it's a wide-open system. Of course, something--or everything--major is not actually closed off. Anyone have ideas about what the "usual suspects" could be? I'm using pex-A and rings.
Slow pump combined with an insensitive gauge?

Close all valves, such as the one in line with the water heater, and see if you can build pressure. An empty water heater can take a lot of air with not a lot of pressure rise. If you build pressure, start opening some valves that are in line with pipes.

For a more sensitive gauge for early testing, try plunging a clear plastic tube into a bucket. Connect the other end to a pipe being pressurized. Have the opening about a foot down. If you blow bubbles, you know you can build 0.4 psi. You can probably figure out a way to connect the clear plastic tube to the plumbing being tested.

If the problem is that your pump is building pressure too slowly, see if you can borrow a compressor with a cfm or scfm rating.

Kathleen O'Brien

Reaction score
This is very helpful. I had also overlooked the fact that, though I have two main lines run, they intersect at the shower mixer valve (rookie move made by a total rookie). So instead of testing two lines, I really need to test just one as a system. Unfortunately, I am currently ONE PLUG short. But I'll grab one tomorrow and try again. If it's a no-go, I'm going to start in on your suggestions.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Air tests can be very inaccurate

Pressure temperature ratio. . As the ambient temperature increases so does the pressure, when it cools down the pressure decreases.

Reach4

Reaction score
When air testing pex, especially pex a, the tubing will relax. I don't find the procedure now, but it involves bringing the pex to a higher pressure for a while to let the expansion happen, and then reducing the pressure for the test.

I do find this: https://www.uponor-usa.com/en/customer-support/faq
For residential applications: Use a mixture of water and air (or air when allowed by local code), and pressurize to 25 psi (1.7 bar) above working pressure, or 100 psi (6.9 bar).

For large commercial applications: Fill the system with potable water, air or a combination of both. Then, condition the pipe to 1.5 times the test pressure or 120 psi (8.2 bar) for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, release excess pressure until you reach desired test pressure [80 psi (5.5 bar) recommended].
The document I don't find had a graph of pressure vs time.... Ahh, here we go: See page 51 of https://www.gwkent.com/media/pdf/product/4245/AQUAPEX_Install.pdf

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks