Plumbing Advice for Disposal Removal

Users who are viewing this thread

jws86

Reaction score
Hello all! New here and looking for some advice. I have basic plumbing experience but this setup underneath my drain is new to me. I want to get rid of this nasty disposal in our home. It's seized up and keeps backing up even when we drain water on the other side. What is the best way to go about routing this plumbing once I remove the disposal? I'm not familiar this large (double Y?) setup in the middle both sides route to. Can I just block off the side with the disposal with a cap and run it all to one side? What's best practice here? I've read there should only be one P trap and currently there is 2. Any tips would be appreciated so I don't have to call a dang plumber out here.

IMG_1012.jpeg
IMG_1011.jpeg
IMG_1010.jpeg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive never put 2 traps Ive seen it on all the east where codes are IPC or not enforced Never even seen it here but undoubtedly its been done Id cap it off like you said unless I wanted to clean it up, I dont even know if a 2 inch trap arm flys in your area that is then reduced to 1 1/2 p trap in your area

jws86

Reaction score
Ive never put 2 traps Ive seen it on all the east where codes are IPC or not enforced Never even seen it here but undoubtedly its been done Id cap it off like you said unless I wanted to clean it up, I dont even know if a 2 inch trap arm flys in your area that is then reduced to 1 1/2 p trap in your area
Yeah I’m not so much worried about cleaning it up I guess. Doesn’t really matter to me how it looks I just want it to function and drain properly.

GReynolds929

Reaction score
Easiest is to install a basket, and flanged tailpiece down into the trap.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I always thought one trap to a trap arm was best So havent ever plumbed that way. and you asked if your idea was ok which I think is if you want to hook up the other p trap I guess why not ? its no differant from what you have now

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I always thought one trap to a trap arm was best So havent ever plumbed that way. and you asked if your idea was ok which I think is if you want to hook up the other p trap I guess why not ? its no differant from what you have now
For the most part we just install the way we learned.. interacting on these forums over the last decade has opened my eyes to the possibilities that the UPC simply isn't the ONLY code or way to do things. One trap vs Two on a single upsized trap arm in this instance.

I for one would opt to simply remove the disposal, install a quality basket strainer, shorten up the p-trap and leave the trap arm the way it is.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
For the most part we just install the way we learned.. interacting on these forums over the last decade has opened my eyes to the possibilities that the UPC simply isn't the ONLY code or way to do things. One trap vs Two on a single upsized trap arm in this instance.

I for one would opt to simply remove the disposal, install a quality basket strainer, shorten up the p-trap and leave the trap arm the way it is.
Yea My thoughts exactly on most of what you just said a 2 inch trap arm isnt going to siphone off the trap . But this Site does open your eyes a bit when doing repairs in an imperfect situation and doing it right (withen the juridiction you are in) just isnt possible .
I like the single trap idea mainly so the drain on G.D. side could run high to other side clearing up space undersink.
Im not so sure on legality in illinois but see no issue with function

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
My home in Palm Beach County built 1990, was plumbed the same way. A double bowl sink in the corner of the counter top. When I switched to a single bowl sink, I removed it.

The disposal trap arm is on a slip nut. Just unthread it the drain pipe it will come out. Remove the disposal, duplicate the left sink drain basket and trap set up.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
My home in Palm Beach County built 1990, was plumbed the same way. A double bowl sink in the corner of the counter top. When I switched to a single bowl sink, I removed it.

The disposal trap arm is on a slip nut. Just unthread it the drain pipe it will come out. Remove the disposal, duplicate the left sink drain basket and trap set up.
Id do a 2 part waste instead of a hideously long tailpiece and blocking out my entire cabinet with low piping. plus Id meet my code Not sure if illinois allows twinn traps

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks