New to water softeners. I have a few questions about our system.

Users who are viewing this thread

ShelbyC

Reaction score
Our water softener system is about 6 years old, it's had some ups and downs, but it was running very smoothly for awhile. Recently our water started to smell and I knew something was off with our water softener. I found a large chunk of salt at the bottom of our brine tank, so I cleaned that out and put in some fresh salt. It's going through the Regen cycle right now as I type this so I'm hoping that was the issue and I've solved it. So now I would LOVE to expand my knowledge and I hope someone here can help me!
I've searched high and low for these answers that I feel may be basic, but I can't seem to find answers. So if you take the time to help me, thank you so much in advance!

Some info I feel might be helpful:
4 people using water in our home
We have a private well and septic
Our system is about 6 years old

20200611_110957.jpg

My first question is: why does our home have 2 resin tanks? One is a clack 9x48 and the other is clack 10x54.
My theory is that one is helping filter out iron because that is high in our area?
Is there a way I can find out what type of resin is in each tank?

My second question is, when setting the time for Regen cycle on each of these is it correct that I need to Regen them at separate times?

Third question I can't quite figure out, but the brine tank is only connected to the shorter resin tank. Is the taller one still able to get brine? I had run the taller one through its Regen cycle and didn't really notice the water level change on the brine tank. When running the shorter one there was a clear change in the water level.

20170728_192555.jpg

This picture is for the back of the cover. We had a hurricane and it knocked everything down and these covers fell off, so Im not sure what one this went to. But it does have some info on the back.

Thanks in advance!

Reach4

Reaction score
Which is the first tank in line?

Yes, the settings should cause these to not regenerate at the same time.

A softener is usually set up to regen based on usage. An iron/h2s filter is usually set to regenerate after a fixed number of days.

Do you have a drilled well, or a sand point?

ShelbyC

Reaction score
Which is the first tank in line?

Yes, the settings should cause these to not regenerate at the same time.

A softener is usually set up to regen based on usage. An iron/h2s filter is usually set to regenerate after a fixed number of days.

Do you have a drilled well, or a sand point?
The first tank is the taller one.

We have a drilled well.

ShelbyC

Reaction score
I wanted to add a few things I just remembered about our system when we first got it.
I had called the company that set it up because water was shooting out of this area:
Screenshot_20231226_135939_Chrome.jpg

So they replaced the piece with this:
Screenshot_20231226_140455_Gallery.jpg

I just want to make sure everything is how it should be.. I feel as though this should have a connection to the brine tank too?

Reach4

Reaction score
An iron/H2S filter will normally not connect to the brine tank. Some connect to a solution tank, but yours does not.

It is possible that the media in the first tank needs replacing. Can you contact the seller to find out what you have? You may want them to do the replacing.

Some sellers under-backwash media, which can contribute to degradation.

Softeners can deal with iron, but you need to give it some extra attention. Iron Out is good for some treatment. If the iron filter degrades, that leaves more for the softener to deal with.

For H2S smell, you could probably benefit from sanitizing. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my well and plumbing sanitizing write-up.

Bannerman

Reaction score
The label on the backside of the 9X48's controller, indicates it contains resin to remove Tannins. Tannins are a common problem throughout much of Florida. As such, the smaller tank will contain Anion resin whereas the softener will contain Cation resin.

Salt brine (Sodium Chloride) is needed to regenerate both resins. Either both tanks would require a shared connection with the brine tank, or an additional brine tank would be required, one for the Softener, and a separate one for the Anion resin.

Since the larger softener may require a different amount of brine than the smaller Tannin filter, if both share one resin tank, suggest programming both controllers so Brine Fill will occur at the beginning of each regeneration cycle, followed by a 1.5 hr delay before progressing with the remaining Regen cycle. Brine Fill at the start of each Regen cycle, will cause the appropriate quantity of water to enter the brine tank for only that Regen cycle, and the delay will provide necessary time for the water to dissolve the salt to create the appropriate quantity of brine needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks