Motion Sensor Switch Install

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark Price

Reaction score
I am trying to replace a switch in my garage with a motion sensor switch (Legard RRW600UTCCCV4). It seems like the motion sensor switch is working but the lights aren't coming on.

The lights are controlled by a switch inside the house and the one in the garage I'm trying to replace.

I've included a pic of how the wires are connected currently. Red to red. Black to black. Yellow to grey. The grey wire was connected to the common terminal on the old manual switch.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NT13Mfup_m0jsP2D4o7ljujRlX55HMYmKg/view?usp=sharing

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
WE would have to see the wiring diagram for the sensor, but they usually require a connection to a neutral wire, which the "common" terminal is NOT. It does not usually operate properly if connected to a "3 way circuit" such as yours, so you may have to eliminate the switch in the house and let the sensor turn the light on and off.

Reach4

Reaction score
The wires I marked in yellow and gold may be the neutral wires that hj referred to.
You would need to check further... I think you would cut a neutral, and connect the two ends and a pigtail together with a wirenut. The other end of the pigtail would go to the neutral terminal on the new switch.

Is/are the whitish wire(s) I marked I one wire or two?

Check before cutting.

img_4.jpg

Mark Price

Reaction score
The wires I marked in yellow and gold may be the neutral wires that hj referred to.
You would need to check further... I think you would cut a neutral, and connect the two ends and a pigtail together with a wirenut. The other end of the pigtail would go to the neutral terminal on the new switch.

Check before cutting.

View attachment 45140

Not sure, I will check when I get back home. Thanks.

Mark Price

Reaction score

Check before cutting.

View attachment 45140

Better pictures of the wires coming from the switch and the wires in the box. Looks like there are two white wires joined with a wirenut. The grey wire was the wire connected to the "common" terminal on the old switch.

Siwtch:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10aEeNzljRIT1EqixdFkbzOw36gN3WMXgdA/view?usp=sharing

Box:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LXkQz6m4IjVdd9HS_U10yAnYQhNm9qxNwQ/view?usp=sharing

3-Way Wiring Diagram:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PDKddFYyXBvqyygvTZupZAA8z2413S1E/view?usp=sharing

Reach4

Reaction score
I finally looked at the instructions. No neutral used. So the two white wires will stay as they are.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
YOu didn't give us enough of the instructions. That "second switch", may not be a conventional 3 way, but rather a proprietary "companion" switch, since it only has one wire going from it to the motion sensor. It is labeled "common" but does not show what it is connected to at the switch, and the "hot wire" is at the sensor end.

Mark Price

Reaction score
YOu didn't give us enough of the instructions. That "second switch", may not be a conventional 3 way, but rather a proprietary "companion" switch, since it only has one wire going from it to the motion sensor. It is labeled "common" but does not show what it is connected to at the switch, and the "hot wire" is at the sensor end.

Would a pic of the second switch help?

Mark Price

Reaction score
A picture of the installation instructions would help, along with more of the ones for the sensor.

Here are some better pics and Reach24 provided a link to the full install instructions. I believe I have followed the instructions and I have power to the switch and you can hear the switch trigger when it detects movement but still no lights.

Siwtch:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10aEeNzljRIT1EqixdFkbzOw36gN3WMXgdA/view?usp=sharing

Box:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LXkQz6m4IjVdd9HS_U10yAnYQhNm9qxNwQ/view?usp=sharing

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Try flipping the switch in the house the other way, then see if the motion sensor works. IF so, you have the traveler in the wrong place and essentially are hooking the hot to the hot, instead of to the light.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
The picture of the wiring diagram had a statement at the very bottom. “Companion switch”. It may read three way but it’s not a true three way as a regular google switch is. It shows no connection for the traveler. The other switch is shown as a standard two way switch. The yellow wire is switched to the neutral and it triggers the sensor to turn on the light. Therefore the wire to the light fixture must be on the box were the motion sensor is. There cannot be any power to the companion switch.

Show a picture of your original switch so it’s sure it was a three way switch. Do you remember where each wire went to on the switch?
Don’t get so hung up on colors. It’s really the fuction from the instructions. All timers and motion sensor wall switches the red wire is usually the output. Black is power in and red is power out (switched). Open the light box and look over the wiring. The light fixture neutral should be white and the hot wire (switched) is from the 3 way switch set up. With a meter or toner you can trace back from the hot wire a one of the wall boxes.

If you happen be using a LED light, change it to incandescent to see if it changes. Some LEDS won’t work with motion sensors and some motion sensors won’t work with leds. If it’s fluorescent than it’s not be the problem.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks