Mike_Pk

Reaction score
Precondition:
- I want salt water softener
- I have a city water
- 3 people in the household, looking for up to 48K grain item
- 2 full bath, 1 half bath in house
- live nearby Houston. Have not completed water test yet
- looking for DIY solution, budget is up to $1200.
- House is not pre-plumbed for softener. Have copper pipes, 3/4 inch

Recently bought Pelican salt water pls48 on a sale @ big box store and started to research this item. It's still in the box, have not installed it. It seems like there are not many thorough reviews online, however this model is being on the market for some time, and based on the features (metered-delay - is important one? anything else?) this looks good.

I'm still debating if this is a right choice. I primarily was looking at Fleck 5600 XTS, then discovered Flexx Pro from us water systems (with literally no reviews). Any recommendations here?

Also, want to find out:
- good/best way to run a water test to have enough data to program softener correctly
- a good website/company where I can buy softener?
- any recommendations from local companies around Houston?

Reach4

Reaction score
good/best way to run a water test to have enough data to program softener correctly
Hach 5-B would probably sufficient. Others will disagree. Your water department may provide hardness figures for you, but an average hardness is not sufficient. If they give a range, and you plan for the highest, that would be good.

Do you test for harmful chemicals, since you may live near chemical plants? Do you buy an reverse osmosis unit for your drinking water? Maybe.

Mike_Pk

Reaction score
Hach 5-B would probably sufficient. Others will disagree. Your water department may provide hardness figures for you, but an average hardness is not sufficient. If they give a range, and you plan for the highest, that would be good.

Do you test for harmful chemicals, since you may live near chemical plants? Do you buy an reverse osmosis unit for your drinking water? Maybe.

Official report doesn't say a lot about hardness: https://www.inframark.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Cinco-MUD-No.-10-0790386.pdf

I have R/O system for drinking water in the kitchen.

Reach4

Reaction score
Order the Hach 5-B. Call the water department, and ask about the hardness. If you get the people who do non-paperwork, they often like to talk about their product.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Stay away from the P system, same for the other one you mentioned, stick with Fleck or Clack originals. I will PM you a suggestion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks