Is it possible to hook up the emergency drain from an under sink water heater to the clean out cap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Socalsurf420

Reaction score
I am trying to hook up an under sink water heater and it has an emergency release valve that needs to be hooked up to a drain. I was going to just try and hook it up to the clean out drain without having to plumb into the pipe itself through the clean out. is that possible? Do they make a fitting that will do it?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why is it not allowed?
Direct connection without a trap would allow sewer gases to at a minimum reach the T&P valve, and possibly be released. A trap is always required to connect to the DWV system.

Direct connection with a trap could allow a back up of sewage to at a minimum reach the T&P valve, possibly presenting an opportunity for contamination of the potable water supply. So an air gap is required to ensure a backup of sewage does not reach the T&P discharge piping.

Running outdoors is the only alternative, so if drilling through the floor between the joists is the simplest way to do that, I would say yes. But I have no experience with that type of construction.

Cheers, Wayne

Socalsurf420

Reaction score
Thank you for the help. I see the dishwasher is hooked up to drain out into the garbage disposal and sink. Could I tap into one of those? This is going to be clean water and 2.5 gallons will be hot.

Socalsurf420

Reaction score
Direct connection of T&P to sewer is not allowed.
T&P must, by code, run to outdoors and terminate not less than six inches from grade.
Thank you for the help. I see the dishwasher is hooked up to drain out into the garbage disposal and sink. Could I tap into one of those? This is going to be clean water and 2.5 gallons will be hot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks