Is it easier to replace a garbage disposer or just reconnect plumbing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
And about a condo: unlike a townhome, where each unit has its own plumbing system almost like a single family home, a condo is more like an apartment, where all piping is shared between the units. You never know if the HOA is in charge of the pipes or not and it won't cost any money to check.

Reach4

Reaction score
The HOA is only responsible for items in the "common areas". meaning outside the "apartment". Anything inside is the owner's responsibility.
I think that varies. But I don't think they will talk the high-rise condo board into tearing out the galvanized pipes in the building and replacing with copper. I guess it happens, but not often. So in this case, I would not replace the galvanized in the photo unless a piece was coming out anyway.

I will comment that I think new galvanized is much worse than old galvanized. This is not a comment on the quality of fittings today, but rather that over time galvanized develops a patina/corrosion/deposits coating that slows the rusting considerably.

Reaction score
The HOA is only responsible for items in the "common areas". meaning outside the "apartment". Anything inside is the owner's responsibility. Do YOU always replace galvanized pies when you see them? Sounds somewhat Draconian to me. The disposer is NOT running 24/7/365 so it DOES have a switch, probably on the wall above the countertop, therefore the wires are ONLY HOT when the switch is turned on. The NEXt time I have someone "help me" install a disposer, it will be the first time, if for no other reason that most cabinets do not have enough room for two people.

hj,

Geez. The lady said there's no switch, I've seen disposers that turn on when the drain is plugged AND I said "If there's no switch..." Actually I wasn't so worried about you working alone muscling one of those, a lady by herself? Kinda different IMO.

SusieQ

Reaction score
I got so far as buying one. It's a 3/4 horsepower Badger. I still may take it back. I really don't want a disposal, and I could use the $140. My neighbor pulled one out and reconnected the pipes.

Whatcha boys think?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I prefer Badger Five and better. The Pro Compact is really nice.
I like disposers because you don't have to pick the walnuts out of the strainer if you dump your Rocky Road in the sink. Hey..........I would have eaten mine, it's the other person!

SusieQ

Reaction score
Nice new format!!! Love it. Hey I would have eaten mine too. Just wash off that Rocky Road and it's good to go! Errrr...wait, it melted ;)
My old one was a Badger 5 1/2hp, and everything clogged it up. And it couldn't handle things like onion peels, carrot bottoms, etc.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Old disposers don't cut stuff up after a while. The blades dull out.
My mother likes to put spoons down hers, so her's gets replaced every eight years.
8-10 years seems pretty normal if you want them to dispose of things. After that, they become collectors.

SusieQ

Reaction score
Hahaha spoons! When I was a kid, every spoon looked like Godzilla chewed on it.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Just a FYI in Illinois you are not to use the hook up on the garbage disposal for the dishwasher. So when you install the new unit leave the knock out plug installed. You will need a dishwasher tailpiece and hook it up on the sink side with out the disposal.

SusieQ

Reaction score
badger-5-chrome-trap.jpg

I hope the Chicago Dishwasher Police don't come to my house. It looks like that's how the existing one was done?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks