IPS and NPT connection type

Users who are viewing this thread

Marin

Reaction score
Hello,
Moen shower valve has IPS connection. All adapters that I have seen are NPT connection type. Can I connect those with Moen shower valve? Thanks.

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
IPS = Iron Pipe Size
NPT = National Pipe Taper

They're the same thing. Both are tapered threads that will mate together.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Be careful there is a differance I get dyslexic on the proper terms and wont give you definitions . look up if in doubt but I can tell by a quick look the valve is going to be tapered threads so your fitting or nipple will have to be tapered as well

Marin

Reaction score
Be careful there is a differance I get dyslexic on the proper terms and wont give you definitions . look up if in doubt but I can tell by a quick look the valve is going to be tapered threads so your fitting or nipple will have to be tapered as well
I will check, but IPS is not supposed to be tapered.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I will check, but IPS is not supposed to be tapered.
NPS = National Pipe Straight, which is not tapered. My understanding is IPS = Iron Pipe Size = NPT.

Someone could use IPS to mean "Iron Pipe Straight", but I would consider that non-standard. I never see IPT, which would be an obvious corollary to this usage.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive never seen a moen valve that had straight, thread , connection. its tapered threads.
IPS has 2 differant meanings in piping Iron pipe size or iron pipe straight thread
NPS nominal pipe size or national pipe straight thread
Yea someone could correctly use the term IPS to refer to straight thread .
Tuttles is correct too IPS and NPT are the same thing , some times , most of time , but not all the time .

Marin

Reaction score
Ive never seen a moen valve that had straight, thread , connection. its tapered threads.
IPS has 2 differant meanings in piping Iron pipe size or iron pipe straight thread
NPS nominal pipe size or national pipe straight thread
Yea someone could correctly use the term IPS to refer to straight thread .
Tuttles is correct too IPS and NPT are the same thing , some times , most of time , but not all the time .
Thanks Jeff!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks