2" wall reach- Need IPS tub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

neveraredlight

Reaction score
I have purchased several IPS spouts and each one leaves the spout and wall with a huge gap OR the threads don't reach. I can not find one with only a 2" reach-- except slip ons... am I missing something???

I have looked everywhere and at many several high end places

Please help!!
IMG20231031164224~2.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
To be clear, you are trying to use the IPS spouts you already have, and are not really looking for alternative spouts.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
My understanding of the picture is that you have a copper pipe stub out, and a slip-on adapter from an older tub spout on the copper pipe. So the simplest solution is to find a slip on tub spout that is compatible with your existing adapter and designed for the same distance from the wall as your existing adapter.

Failing that, you could remove the old slip-on adapter and then get any tub spout intended for a copper pipe stub out. If the old slip on adapter is only held on by a set screw (e.g. in that apparent hole on top in the ribbed portion of the outside surface), you would just need to find the right driver (probably a small allen key) to loosen the set screw and slide off the old adapter.

If the old slip on adapter is soldered onto the copper pipe, then you'd need to unsolder it from the copper pipe, or find a slip on tub spout that only requires 1" of stick out on the pipe, and cut off the adapter, preserving as much pipe as possible.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wayne has an easy way ! since I have basic tools and am a plumber Id just fix it way I described but chasing down a similar spout might be easier or not you might have 2 places nearby to get plumbing parts or order on amazon and get lucky right away or not

neveraredlight

Reaction score
My understanding of the picture is that you have a copper pipe stub out, and a slip-on adapter from an older tub spout on the copper pipe. So the simplest solution is to find a slip on tub spout that is compatible with your existing adapter and designed for the same distance from the wall as your existing adapter.

Failing that, you could remove the old slip-on adapter and then get any tub spout intended for a copper pipe stub out. If the old slip on adapter is only held on by a set screw (e.g. in that apparent hole on top in the ribbed portion of the outside surface), you would just need to find the right driver (probably a small allen key) to loosen the set screw and slide off the old adapter.

If the old slip on adapter is soldered onto the copper pipe, then you'd need to unsolder it from the copper pipe, or find a slip on tub spout that only requires 1" of stick out on the pipe, and cut off the adapter, preserving as much pipe as possible.

Cheers, Wayne
So- just clarifying -- you're saying those threads are an adaptor? And can be removed?

What I'm looking for a tub spout that will work with what I have going on in that picture....

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So- just clarifying -- you're saying those threads are an adaptor? And can be removed?
That is my interpretation of what your photo shows, and so far no one has disagreed. I believe the pipe behind the fat ring is 1/2" nominal copper pipe, with a soldered joint showing just outside the wall.

You could confirm that hypothesis in a few different ways:

1) Get some medium abrasive (120+ grit sandpaper, scotchbrite, etc) and clean up the surface of the pipe to see if it's shiny copper.
2) Measure the diameter of the pipe--it should be 5/8" if is it 1/2" nominal copper.
3) Look closely down that hole in the fat threaded ring with a flashlight--does it look there's the head of a set screw there?

If (3) shows a set screw, and (1) shows copper pipe plus some shiny silver near the joint, which is solder, and there's no solder near the fat threaded ring, then loosing the set screw should allow the ring to come off. It might require a little force, if there are hard water deposits that have cemented the ring on a little.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
ok then take your picture to the hardware store, big box home improovement store , plumbing supply , lumber yard etc. until one has one that matches you honestly could get the right one on first try. I might do it that way but the other way I described Ive done before too.

Reach4

Reaction score
This one is not going to work for that, because the end of the threads would need to be less than 1-1/4 from the wall https://terrylove.com/forums/index....shower-operation-is-there-such-a-beast.51276/

It looks to me as if you may have a set screw holding that adapter into place. I would be inclined to remove that set screw and the current adapter. You would then be left with 1/2 inch copper pipe, and that opens the possibilities for you.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
This one is not going to work for that, because the end of the threads would need to be less than 1-1/4 from the wall https://terrylove.com/forums/index....shower-operation-is-there-such-a-beast.51276/

It looks to me as if you may have a set screw holding that adapter into place. I would be inclined to remove that set screw and the current adapter. You would then be left with 1/2 inch copper pipe, and that opens the possibilities for you.
Good Eye Lol , the allen screw was looking right at me easy job we got suggestions out the Gazoo for him just gota do it is all

neveraredlight

Reaction score
So-- update.. and I don't know the right terminology so probably saying all this wrong... But the adapter thread thing ..it can be taken off-- not soldered- but there is no screw in the hole you see on the picture. It probably came out a long time ago-- but the adapter won't just slide off-- it turns a quarter inch in both directions and then stops-- so-- I am gonna put some lubricant on it and ket it sit and get a bigger wrench and try to get it to slowly turn loose and slide off.

Any suggestions to get it come loose?

Gonna use a slip on tub spout once I get this adapter off. Thanks for all the help here. I have purchased 4 different threaded tub spouts and had to return them all.

Reach4

Reaction score
It may be easier to saw the pipe, and solder on a new section pipe to get the length you need for your new slip=on spout. You may know somebody who can solder copper pipes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks